How to identify sealants from Winnebago part numbers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wstalker1

Looking at the sealant callout sheet for my 2005 Vectra how can I tell what those part numbers represent. Call Winnebago???

I suppose nobody has any comments. You could try an Internet search with the part number - sometimes I'll search for an obscure electronics part number and get some hits. Winnebago will sometimes substitute vendors and even the kind of sealants that relate to a part number. Lichtsinn RV in Forest City is a very popular place to get parts from, you can give them a try.

Thank you all for the assistance. I kind of get a kick out of the silicone based products and the warnings all over the forums saying "do not use silicone". My 05 coach has some silicone where it shouldn't be and my oh my what a job trying to get rid of it.

wstalker1 said:
... My 05 coach has some silicone where it shouldn't be and my oh my what a job trying to get rid of it.
LOL - it is a bear to completely clean silicon out of a surface which is why I like to refer the factory sealant callouts. Spend the money on the factory part number, look at the tube or container and look for an easier to find substitute. Or support your local dealer and buy a sealant from them, there's a lot to be said for that approach.

Winnie is fond of using sealants not normally found in a DIY store. A few years ago somebody here contacted a relatively unknown sealant manufacturer in Canada to bypass Winnebago and bought the minimum amount - a case and several of us split the case up. Winnie found out about the bypass and asked the company to stop selling to individuals (or so the story goes.)

My coach manual has a picture of the coach and the sealants used. To me it is not very explanatory in certain areas. The roof cap in front and rear says sealant A and C. I'm assuming use (A) under the seam, which is adhesive urethane, and (C) to cover that when you are done. Also the sides of the roof cap which is held on also by a couple of screws. I think that is a silicone base, and whoever did mine last used plenty. I am redoing all of it and my roof has also been repaired and I believe I can improve on that as well. I am trying to do as much as possible myself, for the cost savings, and the fact that I'm not too impressed with the quality of the work that has already been done. These forums are immensely helpful. I'm also lucky that John Canfield has the sister coach to mine. Thanks for all your help on these forums John.

You're very kind Will. As far as I know, Winnie did not use any silicon based sealants on the exterior. The "A" and "C" callouts are probably referring to the polyurethane for sealing the cap to the roof and Dicor self-leveling sealant covering the gap.  The cap really doesn't need screws for structural integrity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom