Tire wear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobbyg2013

Excessive tire wear on the outside suggests a need for an axle alignment. Is $380 reasonable. Are there other ways I should consider. I have a 2015 26' TT with less than 10K miles on tires and unit. What say you fellow RV owners.

Is this on the trailer tires?  If so, they are going to have to bend the axles to fix that, so that price is in the ball park.  Is that price direct from a truck alignment shop, or from an RV dealer? Few Rv dealers have the equipment to do that sort of adjustment, so they would probably just take it to a shop anyway. Cut out the middleman and you might save $100 or so

Probably not, but I wouldn't expect bearing wear on a 2015 with 10k miles either. It could happen, though.

Wear on the outer edges typically means the tires are slanted in at the bottom, like this:  \ /  so that they wear on the outer edges. More often it's the inner edges that do this, which would mean an axle bent down from overload or a bad bump, but an axle bent the opposite way wears the outer edges. In either case, that is a wheel camber problem.  However, it is conceivable that the tires are slanted by toe-in rather than camber. Not common on a fixed axle like that, but not quite impossible either.

Gary: what would you suggest I do? Alignment? Just keep an eye on it? Rotate tires?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom