Cell signal booster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hawks1

Hello from north central Illinois.
Just wondering if there is a way to boost cell signal without mounting an antenna on roof and having to run cable to inside rig. hate the idea of drilling holes up there if can be avoided. I attempted a search and all threads were old. Thanks in advance.

Doesn't have to be a permanent mount. Use a couple of PVC pipes to get the antenna above the roof line, and tie the PVC mast to a mirror or ladder or something, using a bungy cord or other tie. Run the antenna wire inside through a window or the seam along a slide-out (the bottom or top corner of a slide usually has enough gap and rubber seal flex to make that easy). If you bring it in through a window, use a piece of foam weatherstrip to close the gap.

When we did this, I cut the PVC short enough for convenient storage and just slipped them together when I needed the antenna.

Gary RVer Emeritus said:
Doesn't have to be a permanent mount. Use a couple of PVC pipes to get the antenna above the roof line, and tie the PVC mast to a mirror or ladder or something, using a bungy cord or other tie. Run the antenna wire inside through a window or the seam along a slide-out (the bottom or top corner of a slide usually has enough gap and rubber seal flex to make that easy). If you bring it in through a window, use a piece of foam weatherstrip to close the gap.

When we did this, I cut the PVC short enough for convenient storage and just slipped them together when I needed the antenna.

pics and parts list if available?

I mounted the outside magnetic antenna for our Max Amp RV cell amplifier/repeater on a 14 gauge steel plate ground plane screwed to the top of our rear A/C shroud. The cable is fed into the coach through the refrigerator vent and then routed towards the front through cabinets to the amplifier location. The inside magnetic antenna is mounted on a small metal disc screwed to the ceiling where it repeats the boosted cell signal throughout the entire coach. The inside antenna can also be mounted with Velcro, and does not need a ground plane.

Gary RVer Emeritus said:

That's sounds simple enough. I'll give it a go. Thanks.

Not much of a parts list. Enough PVC pipe to get the height you want, probably 1" or 1-1/4" size for rigidity. Just how you mount the booster antenna on it depends on the booster, but most use a clamp of some sort. Likewise, you need to be creative about how to tie it onto some part of your RV. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom