A comment on the level of online technical support.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeff

Moderator Emeritus
Six years ago Frank and Barb Weimert stopped to visit us in Illinois where we had just traded up our Honda CRV. The dealer allowed us to have both cars over the weekend and Frank volunteered to help switch over the tow plates, lighting system, and our SMI Air Force One braking system. We did get everything done over two days and except for a broken clip holding the front bumber facia in place everything worked great for the six years we owned the CRV. (Thanks again Frank.)

Well on my way to Walmart a couple of weeks ago I stopped by our new Honda Dealer and traded our rather worn 2011 for a lower mileage 2014 CRV ( Last model year CRVs can be towed). I decided to have the new tow plates installed by a local RV dealer but did everything else for lights and reinstalling the SMI myself.

The reason for this post is to marvel at the detailed installations available from many manufacturers and suppliers on You Tube and other media. (Roadmaster, SMI, and Etrailer to name some specifically) These include details like part numbers for misc adhesives and tools, close up video of wire routing and attaching components for each model vehicle.

I was impressed enough to encourage anyone looking for solutions or technical help to search You Tube for answers. Some of the what you get is from would-be experts but the entire job was much easier this time.

I am proud to say that the RV Forum came up in several Google searches as well.

I'm not sure what everyone else did, but when working on cars/trucks/etc, I've made many trips to our local library to view repair manuals that they had.....before computers were so prolific.  Their policy back then was that you could reference the material, make copies of the pages that you needed (25 cents a page for the copy), then put the book/manual back on the shelf.....it could not be removed from the library.  That seemed like a great system back then.....kind of laughable now I guess!

I'm 58 years old. I had never been deer hunting in my life. I learned how to field dress a deer by watching countless youtube videos on how  to do it.
I field dressed the first deer in my life, by myself. Went perfect, without a hitch.

And sometimes it's not the video but the sound you are looking for.
For example - all 4 sprinkler control valves in our backyard started chattering at exactly the same time and of course sprinklers wouldn't run. I thought what are the chances of all 4 going out at exactly the same time? Not likely. Sure enough, found the exact same problem on YouTube and the video had the exact sound I was hearing. Solution was a new control board for the sprinkler controller.
Such a great troubleshooting tool.
Along the lines of learning things. Learned how to replace missing and damaged roofing shingles.
Neither of these examples are RV related but just serves to show how powerful the online community is.

I just used YouTube to replace the heater door motor assembly on my '08 Explorer.  The local Dealers told me the dash had to be removed to make the repair.  Quotes ranged from $700 to $850.  My total cost was <$60, (one part from Amazon, a flex-head 9MM wrench and about an hour of my time.

I've used YouTube to learn how to replace damaged screens on laptop PCs, fix my old DLP HD TV (too many times) and even how to catch/clean/cook certain species of fish.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom