F-150 Eco vs diesel 2500

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tylerfoster

Thanks for all the advice so far. I have purchase a used 27' travel trailer that grosses out around 7000lb. Now looking at trucks. Budget under $30. My gut says diesel but only plan on traveling two months or so a year. Also like to put 800lb motorcycle in bed. Long bed is preferred. Lots of folks are touting the ecoboest as towing over 10000. I need 4wd as I tow a 6000lb boat also. Right now looking at 05 gmc 4wd, long bed. All stock. Fords are less money for nicer truck and ride but....
Thanks in advance for your comments

My truck in sig was sub $30, before my trade in. Might be bigger than you want, but deals are out there. Dont necessarily need diesel to fill your requirements, but it helps. If searching for tow vehicle, SUV or 1/2 ton would be crossed off, unless it was popup or very short TT.

Up to you, but a if a 3/4 ton (gas) is safely within margin (it should be) that would be my choice. 
The most I ever hauled was 10-11k with a dodge 3/4 , 360 engine.  It was enough to know it was back there and wouldn't want to make it a routine, but it did fine.  Pulled real good.  The newer trannys are fantastic for pulling.
Leaping to a diesel is quite a bit more money.

250/2500 all day; Espicially if you are planning on hauling the motorcycle and the trailer.
As has been stated on this forum hundreds of times.  You can't have too much truck or be too safe when towing.  You can easily overload or not have enough truck.

Yes, size matters....lol ;D ;D

Tow ratings are figured by taking the Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) - the most the truck and trailer can weigh as a unit - and subtracting the truck's weight from it.  The difference is the allowable trailer weight.

Add 800 lbs. to the truck and you have to subtract 800 lbs. from the allowable trailer weight - otherwise you'll exceed the GCWR.

And that's before figuring if you'll be exceeding the truck's GCWR or if the rear axle has enough capacity to handle the weight of the motorcycle and the hitch weight of the trailer.

I fear the bike makes the F150 a no-go.

Add together 800# for the bike, 700# for TT hitch wt, 80# for WD hitch, weight of all passengers (est. 400#?), tools and other cargo (Est 120#).  That totals 2100#.  MOST reasonably equipped ? ton will not handle a 2100# payload.  ? Ton, gas or diesel should do fine.  ? Ton also has a much stronger rear axle.

The bottom line - Check the driver door B pillar for a yellow label that will state the max load THAT truck can carry.  It MUST exceed your expected payload.

Also, note the rear axle load rating on the front door white label.  Subtract the empty load on the rear axle.  The axle must be able to carry its' own weight PLUS 1600# for the bike and TT and hitch.

Check the tire load rating, imprinted into the side of the tire.  Two tires must be able to carry the weight of the loaded rear axle.

tylerfoster said:
Fords are less money for nicer truck and ride but....
Thanks in advance for your comments

What is the "but...." about?  I've had 3 F-250's, and all of them good.  The best was my 2003 5.4L, but I needed more for my 5th wheel.  You are definitely looking at F-250/2500 or above for what you are planning.  Diesel is so very nice for the pulling, but maybe not necessary.  I can't speak for the GM or Ram (though I suspect the Hemi in the Ram would be fine), but the 6.2L gas or the 6.8L in the older Fords would do very well for you.  Would like to hear your thoughts on the "but....".  And hope this doesn't turn into a brand war. 

No, the but... Was more half ton related than brand. Would be a better ride the rest of the year. I think a ford 250 power stroke would be fine. It seems the forum members have confirmed my gut feeling, go 2500/250. Go diesel if I can afford it. I think I can. The older diesels seem to have fewer emission controls and get better mileage and with some mods and tunes run efficiently. Like to find an older model with lite use, low miles, never towed anything, do my own mods. Each brand has plus/minus so the deal is the deal. Just gotta shop I guess.

Thanks all!!!

I can give you a good side by side.  I have a 13 F-150 eco with max tow.  My father in law has an 02 F-250 powerstroke.  He owns a 28' jayflight bunkhouse.  I've towed it with both. I'll take the 3/4 any day of the week.  The trailer is within weight for the F-150 but right under.  Maybe with LT tires it would be better, but even with a hellwig anti sway bar I am not as comfortable towing the bunkhouse with it compared to the diesel.  It has a longer wheel base, and feels much more confident. 

I wouldn't even consider the motorcycle in the bed of the 1/2 ton, even with a smaller trailer. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom