New to RVing!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lilycass

Hello! My family and I are newbies to RVing. We are in the beginning stages of picking out travel trailers and need some helpful guidance. We are a family of 4 w/ 2 kids (10 and 5). We've been looking at models and so far like 2017 Dutchmen Kodiak 186e, 2017 Jayco Feather 22 BHM, and 2017 Jayco 7 Feather 19XUD. I'm open to used but can't seem to find one we like. Even though we only need it to sleep 4, I'd like it to be more in case my kids invite friends in the future. Plus the kiddos are getting bigger so I prefer a queen or full size bunkbeds. What's better - Dutchmen Kodiak or Jayco Feather? What sort of questions to ask dealer?

FYI, My SUV can only tow up to 5,000 lbs.

Also, I've been told 4,000 and under is ideal for my car - but is a travel trailer at 4200 lbs pushing it?

Greetings.
Please do yourselves a big favor, forget the advertised 5000 pound tow rating.  That number is based on a stripped vehicle with one 150 pound driver.  To determine real world how little you can tow, you need to load family and everything you would normally have on board into the vehicle and drive across a set of scales.  Subtract that weight from the TVs GCWR number.  My guess your actual tow rating is going to be far closer to 3000 than 5000 pounds.
Please list your TV so we can get a better picture.  I will also go out on a limb here and guess the two trailers you mentioned your looking at some term like "dry" or "shipping" for the weight?  If so also please disregard that number.  No one will ever tow a "dry" trailer.  Instead base your numbers from the trailers GVWR.  Also please remember, approx 12 to 15% of any trailers true weight be be tongue weight and added to the load your TV will need to carry.

You say you're open to buying used but can't find one. My opinion here along with many others is to keep looking for a used one. There was a member here a couple of days ago who purchased new for the first RV then after a period of time, realized that what they had did not fit there needs for whatever. They went back to the same dealer to trade it in and the dealer said it depreciated 40%. I know they depreciate big time as soon as you take it off the dealers lot but I'm not sure if 40% is real accurate. Even if it's 30%, you're going to take a big hit. Think about it a little bit more before you buy. There are lot's of used RV's out there 3 or 4 years old that are like new. Just have to keep looking. They'll start showing up soon because spring/summer is coming.

As far as towing capacities, DO NOT listen to a RV dealer. They're going to say whatever it takes to make a deal. They don't care about your safety.  Tell us what you have for a tow vehicle and someone here will probably be able to help you about as far as towing capacities.

Welcome.

My first advice is DON"T be in any hurry to get a Travel Trailer.
There is a lot to learn and many people rush in because Summer is coming and then end up with a unit that doesn't fit
them or their needs.

After much study you may well find that you need to purchase a truck to tow a TT that will sleep 6 or more and still be comfortable.
Heck with enough study you may realize a truck and 5th wheel would serve you better.  IDK.  But there is a slight trend to buy too small to start.
It takes some time before you will understand all the weights that can effect safety and I assume that with children you don't want to risk
their safety by breaking the rules you need to follow to be safe. Do your own research on weights and like said DON"T believe a dealer.
Sometimes they don't know what their talking about and sometimes they just need a sale so will say what they think you want to hear.

Also there are many many threads on how buying a new vehicle is not advised ESPECIALLY for someone new to RV'ing.
If you bought one of the TT's you listed and later found out is wasn't the one for you - are you ready to take a 40% or more hit in
deprecation in the first year?  It can happen.  My advice buy used.  There are plenty of vehicles out there that are in good shape and have
little use and are up to half or more of what they cost new.  Tell us your budget and someone will find a unit close to what your looking for.

You didn't say where you live and that can have some bearing on what type of vehicle you need to pull a TT.
Even if you don't live in the mountains if you travel the USA, sooner or later you will have to climb and descend them.

Ask LOTS and LOTS of questions before you put any money down even on a used one.

One more thing is - tell us how often you want to use a TT.  3 weekends a year, 3 weeks a year, 3 months a year?

I have a 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe. We've pulled a boat with it, but it weighs about 2100 lbs. Lot less than a travel trailer. We live in Northern, GA. Our hope is to take it out once a month for weekends anywhere near mountains in TN/NC - or near lake camping here in GA or take it to the beaches of FL/SC/GA every blue moon. 100% agree that I'd rather have used due to depreciation, but I'm having a heck of a time finding one. Might need to just slow down, and wait for the right used one to come up. We're just so excited and ready to sell our boat and get a travel trailer. You can only use a boat 4 months of out the year in GA - and the drought has made it worse!

Pulling a boat with little to no wind resistence is nothing compared to trying to tow a huge sail behind you.  Like I said before, once loaded with occupants it is highly unlikely you will have enough capacity to tow much more than a smaller tent trailer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom