Using a weight Distribution Hitch when backing camper onto site.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eprovenzano

I'm in the market for a Weight Distribution Hitch.  I'm trying to educate myself as to their use...  I understand the setup for both the TV and camper, but I'm confused on the anti- sway use.  Does a chain style WDH with a friction anti-sway fight the TV when making sharp turns?  I'm also confused at to the procedure required when backing the camper onto a site. 

Rarely am I lucky enough to find a campsite that's pull through.  Most of the campsites I seem to frequent require a bit of finagling to get the camper onto the site.  Can someone please educate me a little about the use of the WDH, particularly when at the camp site and the what's required when backing onto a site that at times requires some 90 degree angles. 

From what I've read... If the WDH has a separate anti-sway unit, it must be released prior to backing up (that's completely understandable). My question (as I've never used one before) does the weight distribution need to be released as well before backing onto a site.  I ask as I'm looking at two different models of WDH,  One is the chain style which I'd add a friction anti-sway attachment, and a E2 Equalizer WDH with built in anti-sway.  The E2 is a bar style and does not use chains.

Like I stated, I understand the need to release the friction anti-sway prior to backing up, although the E2 is designed to backup without any intervention.  Again when using a chain style WDH, do you need to release WD portion of the hitch prior to backing up considering some of the severe angles I need at times to get onto a camp site.  From what I've read, the E2 does not require anything and can be used like a regular bumper pull hitch. 

Of course there's a sizable price difference between them...  Currently I'm leaning towards going with the E2, but being a cheap SOB, I don't like to spend money I don't need to... What's the forum's thoughts... 

I have a friction anti-sway bar on my WDH, which is used to tow my travel trailer. I always release the friction of the anti-sway when backing to reduce the chance of damaging the anti-sway bar.
I don't release the WDH tension bars until I'm parked.

Reggie

Yes, it is recommended to remove friction type devices before backing up. I don't know about the E2. I use a Reese Dual Cam, and don't have to remove the bars before backing, and most others don't either if properly set up. I think I would have issues with other things before I would have issues with the hitch. Unfortunately, I crunched the corner of the bed on my 2013 Ram, and didn't have an issue with the hitch.

Thanks guys... I've bumper pulled trailers for years but never needed a WDH until now...  The E2 is somewhat similar to the Reese Dual Cam but not quite up to its capabilities.  If I understand what your're telling me, when backing up when using a chain style WDH that uses a friction anti-sway, simply release / remove the anti-sway and back the camper into place. 

I appreciate the responses...  thanks.

My friction sway is suppose to be removed before making sharp turns.  Typically I remove the WD arms too.  They need to come off anyway.

We use the Equalizer and have not needed to pull the bars when backing into a site, including a number of tight ones with a pretty tight angle from the truck.

Gods Country said:
My friction sway is suppose to be removed before making sharp turns.  Typically I remove the WD arms too.  They need to come off anyway.

This is my general technique also... although as mentioned, the spring bars (L-shaped with chain hangers) seem to be designed to handle the sharp-turn backing and rotate accordingly.  The function anti-sway device I usually just remove completely before I back into a site.  Again that's probably not required and could just be loosened, but it eventually needs to be removed anyway as mentioned above.

Just wanted to thank everyone for their comments...  After careful consideration and a lot of research, I ended up purchasing a Curt Weight Distribution System w/ Friction Sway Control.  It's the Round Bar style 1K TW, 10K GTW with separate anti-sway friction control.  I also had to order a extended drop hitch to accommodate the height of my truck. 

Next will be to find a nice level spot to set the WDH up...

Again thanks for the responses. 

My dealer installed a Centerline WDH but he never mentioned the need to remove the sway bars before backing into a site. I haven't had a problem yet but should I start removing them.

With the purchase of the NTU HTT last fall and a new TV (2015 Ram 1500), and the thought that we want to do a 1500 mile trip soon, I thought I'd better get weight distribution hitch set up. I've watched several videos on the setup read and re-read the instructions and thought I'd take advantage of a sunny Sunday afternoon and get the hitch set up.

I followed all the instructions and ended up after the weight distribution is in place with the tongue about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch higher than dead level. The measurements of the truck was the rear squats about a 1/2 inch and the front is within a 1/4 inch of its unladen height.

Knowing the camper is not fully loaded, I tried to to cover for the items we still need to put into the camper, so I had an additional 200 lbs of weight in the bed. Of the truck behind the axle. I'll recheck all measurements again once we're fully loaded, but I'm comfortable that I'm very close with this current. setup . 

Now I just need to finish transferring the old gear from the pup.  I need to dewinterize, but that will be done just prior to heading out.

eprovenzano said:

Now I just need to finish transferring the old gear from the pup. ....

ha ha, good memory.  Reminds me of the day we traded our popup to the MH.  It was raining by the time the deal was done, and the stuff was in the back of the pickup under cover, and in the cab.  There wasn't enough space in the campsite we had reserved that night, so we found a larger parking lot in the state park, opened the MH awning, and backed the truck up under the awning to the door and pitched it all in.  With fresh memories of the work that popup could be in the rain, I was really loving the MH life!

Just an update after our 1,500 mile trip.  My Ram 1500 Laramie pulling a 23' Palomino HTT from the Pittsburgh area to Huntington Beach State Park SC (just below Myrtle Beach) went without issue.  When we pulled out, it was all of 9 degrees.  It was a struggle (frozen hands) to get the WDH set up.  My hands were so cold, I decided to try it without the friction sway bar.  The WDH made pulling the HTT easy.  No seesaw effect, the trailer tracked perfectly. About 6 hours into the trip, we started to experience some high winds.  I didn't have any queasy moments, but decided to put the friction anti-sway bar on during a refueling stop.  Again... a perfect compliment to a good set-up.  You could feel the winds, pushing / pulling you, but the trailer tracked like it was on rails. 

The trip home again was a non-issue...  we had to travel through an area with a severe high wind warnings.  Not once did I have a while knuckle moment.  The truck and trailer stayed where I pointed and never wavered.  For those wondering if they need a WDH...  the answer is yes... With the WDH the TV and trailer are more of a single unit.  When going over bumps the suspension of the two work together.  Without, you get the seesaw effect of the tail wagging the dog.  I'd also recommend getting some sort of anti-sway control. it really does perform as advertised.  For me, I'm very happy with the Curt WDH and friction anti-sway.  Someday I may upgrade to a better system, but for now, I'm one happy camper.

Thanks to those who helped guide me and answer my many questions. 

Glad you had a good trip. It is amazing what a difference a good WDH can make. I had towed my prior TT to a couple of local campgrounds (under 10 miles) without the WDH hooked up. All the weights were within the trucks's specs but it rode totally different, especially on the back roads!

Not always advisable to travel in a severe wind warning. We stopped one night in a 40 ft dp because the winds got up. We heard on the tv that a tractor trailer got blown on its side the same way we were heading. Sometimes better to wait it out than take a chance.

"Not always advisable to travel in a severe wind warning. "

X2.  Glad you had a good time.

Back
Top Bottom