Seriously? Brand new RV overloaded from the factory? Shouldn't this be illegal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Back2PA

Thumbing through the latest Motorhome magazine and this month's RV review is of a Fleetwood Jamboree 30D Class C. The article goes on about the "plentiful storage in the bedroom", "spacious cabinets above the jackknife sofa", and "extraordinary amount of outside storage" along with "sleeping for seven to 10". Looks like a nice rig - one little problem: "with water and LP-gas tanks full with no supplies onboard ... the rear axle was overloaded by 60 pounds." This is with no one onboard and every cabinet and storage compartment and refrigerator empty!

As if this wasn't enough, the rear hydraulic jacks are just 4 3/4 inches off the ground when fully retracted, and they "came into contact with the ground" during the test drive.

Absolutely pathetic for any RV manufacturer, let alone one of the largest. And this spiffy Class C, with a Realistic Occupant and Cargo Carrying Capacity of less than zero, and jacks that drag on the ground anywhere except a Walmart parking lot, can be yours for just $129,223.

Unbelievable.

Attachments

• Overloaded RV.jpg
    Overloaded RV.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 78
First mistake your reading an advertisment, not a real report.  The RV magazines are so bloated with ads they basically useless junk.
As for your observations.  Not anything new.  Manufactures for years have installed only marginal parts in lots of areas.  This is just another example of poor design and implimentation.  Fleetwood just got caught in this one.  But they will still sell a number of them to unsuspecting suckers.

Dickie125 said:
First mistake your reading an advertisment, not a real report.  The RV magazines are so bloated with ads they basically useless junk.

I do understand that, as "Good" Sam (aka Camping World) owns Motorhome, nevertheless, this article points out the issue (although they do soft peddle it)

Manufactures for years have installed only marginal parts in lots of areas.  This is just another example of poor design and implimentation.

This was exactly my point. I was surprised that there (apparently) isn't some level of regulation that at least requires a unit to not be overloaded as it leaves the factory

But they will still sell a number of them to unsuspecting suckers.

I'm sure they will. As I was reading the article I could hear the salesman's delivery - "and look at the amount of storage and sleeping space this unit has, plenty of room for all the grandkids and your stuff".

Back
Top Bottom