Furnace and Water Heater not working

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rrhill87

I purchased a 1992 Winnebago Brave in November 2016. When I bought it I was told I would have to replace the water heater which I was fine with. When I first connected to shore power a few lights over the kitchen sink, the hood vent and light, and the water heater/water pump/levels control panel did not work. At this time the furnace would kick on and blow hot for a few minutes but would never kick off. Once the heat stopped it would just blow cold air into the coach.

I began my repairs with the water heater. It was an OLD Atwood 6 gal that had the adapters where it was connected to the engine's coolant system to heat the water while you are driving down the road. I believe the problem with that one was the tank had a severe leak in it. I decided if I was going to spend money I would just go ahead and get a tankless water heater. I installed a Girard GSWH-2. This unit has a User Control Panel that allows you to set the temperature of the hot water that comes out of the tap. This UCP and the water heater would not kick on once I installed it so I knew I had another problem.

I also noticed that the furnace would not kick on like it would when I first bought the coach. I assumed this was a power source problem as well which leads to the next upgrade/repair I made.

Since the lights and hood vent/light didn't work and now my water heater User Control Panel wasn't getting power I assumed it was a 12V DC power problem. I purchased and had my electrician cousin install a new converter. This new converter has a 75amp output which is a step up from my 45amp converter that was in it. This fixed the hood vent/light, and the water pump/levels control panel. This panel also has a switch for the water heater which I have turned on every time I try to troubleshoot the water heater and it does not fix any problem. The User Control Panel is still not coming on.

Since this power converter has been changed there is no change in the furnace. When I turn on the thermostat there is nothing. No clicking on the thermostat and not noise from the furnace unit itself. It's like it's dead or something. The only change I have noticed with the water heater is that a light comes on inside the access door on the outside of the coach. It looks red but once you open it the light bulb that is on looks yellow. I don't know if that matters. I have check the fuse in the new converter that controls the control panel that has a power button for the water heater and it is working but it is only a 5 amp(?) fuse. I've read on some forums that Girard has instructed customers to beat on the solenoids with a ball pin hammer or a crescent wrench because it was probably stuck. I have not done this.

I took a chance that maybe it was a propane issue and installed new regulator. There was no change in the furnace or water heater. I am getting sufficient propane in the coach as my stove works and maintains a blue color flame.

The two house batteries are bad and are currently unhooked until I can install new ones. Would this matter since I am always connected to shore power? I thought that the converter replaced the batteries when connected to shore power.

Do I still have a power problem? Is there a fuse somewhere other than in the converter? I've read that some people have a fuse for the furnace in their bathroom?  I have these two problems that I would LOVE to be able to fix. I cannot afford a huge repair bill right now.

I'm new to RV maintenance. I have actually moved into my RV full time and hope to spend part of the year travelling if work allows. I would like for some of these kinks to get worked out before I make a trip. Any advice on what to look for would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Rachel

Two things could be your problem.  No batteries.  Converter basically only charges 120VSC to 12VDC to charge the house battery.  Second, both items need gas(propane) to work.  Do you have gas in the tank?  Are the gas lines purged? Do you have good flames on the stove top?

Replace the batteries first, check all connections for tight and clean and then see what problems you have.

Some older rigs DO require a battery to operate correctly.  I would try new batteries first.  You must do it sometime soon, anyway.  The converter upgrade is a good move, regardless.

Have you checked for 12V power at the furnace or water heater?

Do your stove top burners light and burn smoothly?  If so, propane tank / regulators are fine.  There could be crushed or plugged lines between the tank and appliance, though.

There is propane in the tank. Stove lights good and maintains a blue colored flame. I will replace the batteries and see if that works.

Also 12V wires to the water heater have power. My cousin tested the wires and said they have power to them but once hooked up to the water heater the power goes down. He said that's usually a sign that the appliance is running. Like it's using the power? But it still won't kick on or light.

Before finalizing any decision I would advise you to get the professionals consultation on your furnace and water heater problem.  A friend of mine has also faced the similar problem, but on hiring heating repair service Essex County NJ team, he got all his queries solved and even got his furnace repaired in an affordable price. You should also seek some professional help, might be, they can have the best solution of your problem. Good luck!

CMcGinnis said:
Before finalizing any decision I would advise you to get the professionals consultation on your furnace and water heater problem.

You should also seek some professional help, might be, they can have the best solution of your problem.

Are you saying the OP has 2 issues?  :eek: ::) ;)

It can be considered as two issues Rene. His system is actually having some power issues. He want the water heater to work but instead getting troubled with furnace.  He can contact any  RV professional to get this issue solved.

Back
Top Bottom