Highway 1 next month

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well the flights are already booked as its the stopover on our return from NZ

Any ideas what to do for 10 days at the end of March from LA ? Is it too early for Yosemite?

jonegood said:

Any ideas what to do for 10 days at the end of March from LA ? Is it too early for Yosemite?
Yosemite required reservations five months in advance and there is no predicting the weather. It will probably be snowing. You could easily kill ten days in San Diego or Joshua Tree National Park and Death Valley National Park.

What Tom said, plus, Palm Springs, Red Rock Canyon & Valley of Fire, Lake Mead and Hoover Dam at Las Vegas.

jonegood said:

I have some relatives coming from Florida and have been making an itinerary of things to do in southern California I'll share with you.

Tehachapi Loop. 

Singing road in Lancaster CA "William Tell Overture"

Stay in Pam Springs.

Food truck parking lot dinner in Whittier.

Day excursion train ride from Whittier to San Diego, maybe stay overnight in San Diego at hotel.

Venice Beach Boardwalk. 

Ronald Reagan Presidential Library

Richard Nixon Presidential Library

The "Singing Road" in Lancaster is cute but badly out of tune. They goofed because the crew cutting the grooves in the pavement measured the spacing from the end of one groove to the beginning of the next while the designer computed the spacing centerline to centerline.  This makes the pitch off by the width of the cut.

If you're going out to Lancaster, continue north to the town of Boron on Hwy 58.  There you'll find the Rio Tinto open pit Borax mine with a very nice museum and visitor's center on top of the slag pile overlooking the pit.

Then there's the usual touristy stuff in L.A. - Disneyland, Universal Studios, Hollywood Star Wak, etc.

Having discounted this because of the problems at highway1, we're  now thinking offdoing as some of you guys reccomended and staying in the south a d doing a roundtrip.

Now  the issue seems to be locating good places to stay, we're quite happy to be doing some boondocking but in a rented rv so will need campgrounds every few days? Can anyone point us to any in the area that will be open in March?

We want to go whale watching at Morro, then santa barbara, death valley, grand canyon, palm springs and san diego. Is this realistic in 10 days?

Thanks again for any help
Jon

Jon-

Do you have a smart phone or tablet?  If so, I highly recommend the Allstays Camp & RV app.  I have found it invaluable for locating campgrounds while traveling the US.  It is a map-based app with icons showing different campgrounds.  Touch the icon and it brings up basic information about the campground, along with links to the campground's website, reviews, etc.

Yes we do and will have a look at that thanks

We use the campercontact app extensively in Europe and are using the rankers.nz app here in new Zealand  both are excellent.

jonegood said:
We want to go whale watching at Morro, then santa barbara, death valley, grand canyon, palm springs and san diego. Is this realistic in 10 days?

Thanks again for any help
Jon

I'm not all that familiar with Southern Cal, but do know there is a very nice California state park near Santa Barbara.
El Capitan State Park.
https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=601

We stayed there a few nights when we were motorcycling and tent camping a few years ago.
We stayed in a couple other parks as well.

https://www.parks.ca.gov/ParkIndex

jonegood said:
Well you will be spending more than half your time driving. Not a lot of Interstate driving on the trip. I suggest doing Morro Bay, Santa Barbara, Palm Springs and San Diego and leaving the Grand Canyon and Death Valley for another trip. These are all fantastic destinations and you don't want to just drive through and wave at them.

When we visit Morro Bay we stay at Cypress RV Park.  It is a small RV park on Main street within walking distance to downtown and the harbor.  I lived in Santa Maria CA in the 70?s and the central CA coast is beautiful, enjoy.  Dick nvrver

Cypress RV Park 1121 Main St  93442    (805) 772-2515

Is anyone local to carson?

The rv rental depot is on east 23rd st, so werevwondering about getting ourselves there from lax. The cab quotes from the rv company are $55, this seems a lot for less than 18 miles. We wondering about shuttle buses etc?

Back
Top Bottom