Health Insurance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mudshark

Hi All
Lots of talk about replacing Obamacare with basically the same thing in the republican plan.
Wife and I will be on the road exploring this wonderful country for about a year, maybe more.
What do you full timers do about health insurance?
Thanks
Jim

What makes you say it's the he same when it hadn't been finalized yet, your going to wait to see what it is before you make plans. My guess it will be individual plan that can be tailored to your needs not mandated that we have to pay for stuff we don't need.

Denny

Currently, and I stress that, health insurance plans and rates are based on the state that is your legal residence.  That's called your "domicile" and it's what you use for vehicle registration, voting, paying income tax, etc.  If you leave that state permanently, then you have to get everything from your new domicile state.  For example, when we left California our health insurance had to be changed to what was available in our new home state.  None of us can answer your question because no one knows what the final plan will be like in the future.

ArdraF

Thank you for the replies.
I realize this is a tough question and the timing is bad as things are in flux. We are trying to get a handle on things as we plan to be on the road in June after we sell the house.
We will have to keep Massachusetts as our domicile state but we will not be come back here. We will be looking for a new state to live in as we explore the country. So much to get in line for departure. So many questions..so little time!!

Alas. Just now we have a political climate that is rapidly changing many things.. Weather that change is for the better or worse depends on who you talk to but I will keep my opinion out of it for now

The basic result of this is that what is true today, may not be next week, or even tomorrow.

So, ... I know what I'd like to see for health care.... but I'm a dreamer when it comes to that.

There are a few in D.C. who agree with me, but not nearly enough.

Just make sure you keep your legal residence in MA until you find a place that offers decent insurance. Some domicile states don't have anything available except local plans. That doesn't do much good for someone who travels. And the PPs who note we have no idea what the new President and Congress will do are right. I have never been happier that we have retiree insurance from a previous employer! DH is eligible for Medicare late this year, but I have two more years.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom