My new 4K 3D TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeilerBird

I have been a photographer and a musician since my childhood and as a result I have always been interested in high quality audio and video. I bought my first 4K TV two years ago but since then there has been some advances making mine "obsolete". So I finally pulled the trigger and upgraded it to a OLED55 C6P. It is a 55 inch curved screen with the very best picture on the market currently. That was my main criteria for buying this particular model. It has Infinite Contrast, Ultra HD, Dolby Vision and 3D among other things. The high point is the ultimate contrast. The blacks are as black as you can get. Now if you don't know anything about expensive TVs that might not sound like a big deal, but it is. The black really makes all the other colors pop from the screen. The 3D is mind blowing too. I watched the Wizard of Oz in 3D and it really blew me away. It was obviously not filmed in 3D but converted after the fact. They pulled out all the stops and it really is impossible to tell it was not filmed in 3D. 3D is currently dying so 3D movies are very cheap right now. I have gotten a few dozen so far and I am having a great time watching them. I have an annual pass to Disney World and the 3D attractions are my favorites. So now I have a 3D TV and 3D sound (7.1 surround) so my living room resembles an IMAX theater. Imagine a 55 inch TV in an RV without slides. :eek: My cell phone images look awesome displayed on my TV. Crisp and clear as a bell.

Glad you're enjoying it, Tom. I used to want to stay near the bleeding edge, but the changes these days are (comparatively) smaller, though the generations come faster. The TV my wife uses is a lot newer, and is an LCD, but it's still 6 or 7 years old (top of the line when we got it) and does what she wants.

My main TV will probably match yours for blacks and contrast, but not the rest of the specs. It's a rear projection Pioneer Elite HD using three 7" CRTs converging on a 64" screen. I bought it in 2001, when we finished the basement on this house. It's still working great, except it bugs me that the TV networks are now ignoring the "safe zone" they used to use to ensure you could see the whole screen. Now they put title overlays and a lot of other stuff right at the edge and being a CRT it naturally hides those edges.

Otherwise, it still looks great with HD (1080) material -- we don't have any 4K source material, so don't much care about "missing" that aspect.

Hey Tom,

Do you need a special cable setup to get a 4K image?  Or is 4K not available on regular TV yet?
Also will a standard Blue Ray Player work or play 3D? OR do you need a special 3D player to watch anything in 3D?
If 3D is dying - does that mean 4D is about to become mainstream?

Yes I have to think a 55" curved TV in a MH without sides looks HUGE.
So how did you get rid of your old TV? - as I know full-timers don't keep a lot of extra stuff around.  ;D

RedandSilver said:
Hey Tom,

Do you need a special cable setup to get a 4K image?  Or is 4K not available on regular TV yet?
Also will a standard Blue Ray Player work or play 3D? OR do you need a special 3D player to watch anything in 3D?

Yes I have to think a 55" curved TV in a MH without slides looks HUGE.
So how did you get rid of your old TV? - as I know full-timers don't keep a lot of extra stuff around.  ;D

RedandSilver said:
Hey Tom,

Yes I have to think a 55" curved TV in a MH without sides looks HUGE.
There is not a lot of 4k content on cable yet. You don't need anything special. You can vies 4k on a regular tv but it looks a lot better on a 4k set. A standard Blu ray player will not play 4k or 3d. You need a special player for either one. I have my old tv on Craigslist and someone wanted to come buy it tonight but I was not home.

Netflix has some pretty good 4K content.  Under $10 a month.  As I remember it you have plenty of bandwidth.

8Muddypaws said:
Netflix has some pretty good 4K content.  Under $10 a month.  As I remember it you have plenty of bandwidth.
i don't need 4k content. The TV upconverts 1080 automatically and it looks just as good as native 4k content. My cell phone photos taken with a tiny little sensor knocks my socks off. It really has to be seen to be believed.

Nothing like seeing your photos on a big screen, I bet yours look amazing! In fact I might go Google them and look at them on my big tv at home as we havd the oc connected to it. Enjoy!

8Muddypaws said:
Actual 4K content better than anything upconverted.

I agree.  Just try one of the Netflix 4K videos and you will be amazed.  When we first got our UHD TV we watched the story of the Monarch butterfly on Netflix just because it was beautiful.

8Muddypaws said:
Actual 4K content better than anything upconverted.

agree.  Just try one of the Netflix 4K videos and you will be amazed.  When we first got our UHD TV we watched the story of the Monarch butterfly on Netflix just because it was beautiful.

Guys, I am not a virgin. I got my Philips 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray Player (BDP7501) last July and I have bought a dozen 4K discs including the Monarch Butterfly disc. I have watched endless 4k content on Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, and YouTube. There simply is no difference between watching them and watching 1080 upconverted. I would bet that anyone who wanted could come over to my house and I could play you ten different DVDs, five of which were 1080 and five of which were 4k and no one could guess more than half of them correctly. I belong to the AVS forum and the consensus is that no one can really tell them apart. I stopped buying the 4K discs because they were a waste of money. Maybe your TV is not very good at upconverting but mine sure is.

The attached chart attempts to calculate the distances at which a person with "normal" 20/20 vision will be able to see the difference between 4k and 1080p content, regardless of whether or not the 1080p picture is upscaled to 4k.  Notice that for a large range of typical viewing distances no improvement will be seen because the viewer literally can't resolve the picture well enough to see the difference.  So if you're planning on watching your 40" TV from across the room you're unlikely to benefit much from having bought a 4k TV.  However, if you have a large TV in a small room you ought to be able to see the difference (with good content, of course).  So whether or not you want to invest in 4k content may depend on the size of your living room relative to your TV.

I've read a number of reviews in which it has been said that the perceived improvement in the picture quality of 4k TVs is largely due to the HDR (high dynamic range) capability of many of them (from around the middle of the price range and up).  Apparently the "blacker blacks" and other benefits of HDR often overshadow any actual improvement due to increased pixel count.

For anyone who is interested, the chart comes from this article: http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-resolution/4k-ultra-hd-uhd-vs-1080p-full-hd-tvs-and-upscaling-compared

Attachments

• 4k.png
    4k.png
    10.2 KB · Views: 11
8Muddypaws said:
Tom, that's your OPINION.  It's not one that I share.
If you read the quote under my photo it states that everything is my opinion. I really don't care if you agree with me or not. I fail to see how you can have an opinion on my system when you have not seen it and you refuse to take my challenge.

Those OLED TVs are NICE! Noticably better display of black shades than "regular" LEDs (A lot more pricey too!). Coincidentally, we just bought a new TV yesterday. It's being delivered Monday evening. Ours is a  75" Sony (big living room) and while comparing different brands, it was surprising to see the differences in upscaling - an issue I wasn't aware of until I started researching TVs. Shockingly, the OLED version of the TV we just bought would have cost us about $6000.00 more than what we paid for ours. That was just too hard for us to justify.

Kev

Kevin Means said:
Those OLED TVs are NICE! Noticably better display of black shades than "regular" LEDs (A lot more pricey too!). Coincidentally, we just bought a new TV yesterday. It's being delivered Monday evening. Ours is a  75" Sony (big living room) and while comparing different brands, it was surprising to see the differences in upscaling - an issue I wasn't aware of until I started researching TVs. Shockingly, the OLED version of the TV we just bought would have cost us about $6000.00 more than what we paid for ours. That was just too hard for us to justify.

Kev
You are right Kev, they are radically expensive, but they have come down drastically in price in the last two years so they are affordable to a guy like me. And you are right about upscaling differences, another reason why I went with OLED.

Back
Top Bottom