Meets Electrical Code???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alaskansnowbirds

Site Team
I'm not sure this is what they meant in the installation manual when they said to ground the generator to a ground rod driven in dirt.

Attachments

• Ground006.jpg
    Ground006.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 139
Looks good to me :)..  Seriously portable generators and RV Generators do not need to be grounded, .. In fact if you understand why things are "Grounded" you understand why not ground a generator is actually SAFER than grounding it. 

But then, Not all of the code is written by folks who know their screwdrivers from a pair of needle nose pliers.

the obvious training/skill level, and supervision on this jobsite,  could explain some of the problems in our infrastructure.....

....at least they padlocked the breaker box closed  ;D

oh, now that's a riot!

I've done a fair bit of work in electrical power and control panels for work, even 3-phase stuff....so I get the concept of neutral return path....but I'll admit to not full wrapping my head around this idea though that generators don't need to be grounded. 
I know my little portable "construction" generator has a grounding lug on it, and probably says something about grounding it....it's been too many years since I noticed.
I think it's the whole "ground is like a safety valve" thing that hangs me up.

blw2 said:
oh, now that's a riot!

I've done a fair bit of work in electrical power and control panels for work, even 3-phase stuff....so I get the concept of neutral return path....but I'll admit to not full wrapping my head around this idea though that generators don't need to be grounded. 
I know my little portable "construction" generator has a grounding lug on it, and probably says something about grounding it....it's been too many years since I noticed.
I think it's the whole "ground is like a safety valve" thing that hangs me up.
I've done a little with 3 -phase and ungrounded systems (35 years) and can't figure the fascination with grounding/neutral return paths that some people have. all you need is a return path.

But this is funny and scary at the same time I wonder if someone thought they were doing something effective or just trying to be funny.

Too funny!  Reminds me of a story from when I worked on Radars.  One of our techs filled a box with dry soil with a tiny "grounding" rod in it.  Told our Supervisor that he'd figured out we had bad ground; then he pulled out the box.  To us it was quite funny and we laughed for a long time.

Fyrediver said:
Too funny!  Reminds me of a story from when I worked on Radars.  One of our techs filled a box with dry soil with a tiny "grounding" rod in it.  Told our Supervisor that he'd figured out we had bad ground; then he pulled out the box.  To us it was quite funny and we laughed for a long time.
Maybe potting soil will give a "better" ground ;D

Back
Top Bottom