Humidity Control While Boondocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tonyjack

We're going to be making a trip across the country this spring and we're planning on staying without hookups as much as possible.  I'm a little concerned that we'll have condensation issues in the TT when we're staying in the colder areas.  This will be our first trip in a travel trailer so I'm not exactly sure what to expect. 

My questions are:
In y'all's experience what is the likelihood that I'll have to worry about condensation if the night time temperatures are expected to be in the low 40s?

Are those Eva-Dry (or similar) Peltier style dehumidifiers that run on 12 volts worth a dang?

Other than just keeping a window cracked what products actually work in a no power situation? 

Thanks!

I used to use a product called Dry-Z-Air. It's a drying agent (pellets) that comes in a bag, and which collects moisture from the air and deposits it in a bowl. When it fills up, you pour it out. I used it in our old cab-over camper when we weren't camping. It worked, but it was a bit messy.

We don't use it in our MH, because we've found that leaving some vents cracked, and a fan running, is all we need to keep condensation under control (Often even without the fan). We live, and usually camp, in relatively low humidity areas, so if you were going to be in high humidity areas, other measures might be helpful.

Kev

Kevin, thanks for the information.  We won't be able to do messy.  I've got an 8 year old, a 4 year old, a fox hound, and a chihuahua.  We'd have water all over the place.  We're going from the Grand Canyon, to Zion, to Salt Lake, to Yellowstone, to Rushmore, to the Dells, to Lake Erie.  I suspect that we'll be getting into some humid places along the way. 

The key to keeping humidity down in an RV is to keep the living area ceiling vent open about 1/2-1" first off, then always run the exhaust hood when ever cooking, and always run the shower room exhaust when showering if you cant use the campgrounds shower as a first priority.

While you are in the west, you probably won't have any issue with humidity; we never do. The Midwest and south are a different issue. We do the same as Kevin and leave a vent cracked. We generally don't have to run the fan except during shower time. I have never used any dehydrator or dehumidifier, just the vent.

That makes me a little more comfortable.  I guess I won't worry about getting anything before I leave then.  I was heavily considering getting one of the Eva-Dry 2200s or whatever it is.  Worst case I'll swing by a Lowes or HomeDepot and get one on the road. 

Not only that but when dry camping you need to minimize the 12 volt usage as much as possible or you will be running a generator more than you like.>>>Dan

Yeah that's true.  I have a 100watt solar panel that I'm hoping will keep the batteries mostly charged while we're set up.  The truck should charge the batteries while we're driving. 

Back
Top Bottom