6.2L GMC or Chevy 1500- How does it tow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trcgdb

I have a small TT well within the tow capacity of a half-ton. Curious if anyone has experienced towing a TT with this combo and what kind of MPG does it get. I have a Ram 1500 with the 3.0 diesel which gets 15-16 mpg while towing. Would the GMC approach that?  The 3.0 has had some lingering issues that I have read about so I am uneasy to continue to use it as my tow vehicle.

I can not answer your question, but I can bump it back up to the top of the board.  I know there are folks out there with this truck.

I seriously doubt you will get 15 mpg while towing!

already had one engine blow on me...total replacement under warranty. Just a little concern what I am in for long term.

trcgdb said:
I have a small TT well within the tow capacity of a half-ton. Curious if anyone has experienced towing a TT with this combo and what kind of MPG does it get. I have a Ram 1500 with the 3.0 diesel which gets 15-16 mpg while towing. Would the GMC approach that?  The 3.0 has had some lingering issues that I have read about so I am uneasy to continue to use it as my tow vehicle.

On the flats 7-9mpg. In mountains 4-5 mpg

steveblonde said:
On the flats 7-9mpg. In mountains 4-5 mpg

This is pretty much the standard (and accurate) answer for almost any RV / towing combo.  Diesels may do slightly better than gas, but diesel fuel is often priced slightly higher than gasoline so it's somewhat of a wash.

Most of us don't worry too much about MPG's while RV'ing.  It's gonna be low.  But, you don't really spend THAT much time driving so the cost is minimal overall (compared to your daily driver for instance) if you look at the seasonal or annual cost of fuel.

When I had a 1500 Silverado I was lucky if I got 9 mpg, more like 7-8.  Same with the 2500 HD Silverado.

I have a 2016 6.2 with Max-tow package and get 7-8 MPG towing a 10K 5th and get 23MPG empty at 70MPH. I had a 2015 5.3L Max-tow and the 6.2L gets better milage than the 5.3. Its a great motor but you won't get the mileage your getting with that 3.0 diesel.

Back
Top Bottom