Would you say there's something wrong with this roof? (pic)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

702Rubi

I'm a noob just barely beginning to think about getting an RV, probably 1-2 years from buying. 

Anyway, I was looking through some ebay listings today, and saw this pic of a toy hauler trailer's roof.  Now this is a 2016 model so only a year or so old.  To me, this roof does not look like its in good shape!!  Am I wrong?  Is it okay to have all those bubbles in the roof?  ???

http://s1027.photobucket.com/user/smolinappraisers/media/2016%20Forest%20River%20Hyper%20Lite%20XLR%2027HFS/IMG_5985_zpsiacbtavy.jpg.html

I've seen several posts here in the last year or so, from people asking about air bubbles in their TPO roofs. RV manufacturers must be doing a sloppier job (than normal) of gluing them down, because it seems to be happening more than it used to. Having said that, I don't think I'd be too concerned about it, as long as the bubbles weren't really big (pretty subjective, I admit) and they didn't appear to be growing. I think it's more of a cosmetic concern that a roof integrity concern. JMO

Kev

I'm no expert but if it's a rubber roof - that's what it looks like to me - that's a really bad job of putting it on.  That's why one of our highest priorities was a fiberglass roof.  You need to find out what kind of roof any potential purchase has and find out how to maintain it.

I decided to find out what a TPO roof is.  "Thermoplastic Polyolefin (TPO) is a single-ply reflective roofing membrane made from polyprophylene and ethylene-propylene rubber polymerized together. It is typically installed in a fully adhered or mechanically attached system, allowing the white membrane to remain exposed throughout the life of the roof."  Notice it says "fully adhered" which your sample photo definitely is not.

ArdraF

That looks really crappy to me.  My TT is 14 yo and looks brand new compared to that one.  I have one bubble near the front that I keep an eye on.  That looks horrible.  Would never but a trailer that looks like that.

I'd be concerned about that rip in the overhead inside the trailer. How is that related to the really poor looking roof installation? I'd be concerned that something went through the roof and then the roof was repaired by an amateur who didn't quite know how to do it. That would make me wonder about what else had been "cobbled" together. I'd pass, if I were you.

Very sloppy installation. The rubber roof makers refuse to call it an installation defect, probably because the RV companies are their big customers.it's not a major issue, since it remains waterproof, but it seems as though it will be more vulnerable to damage.

Probably won't be available in a year or two.

My big concern is that each one of those bubbles is a place where the rubber membrane is NOT attached to the plywood roof sheeting.  As having owned a few different rigs with TPO roofs, I can attest to how easily a TPO can be torn by things like tree limbs.  A loose bubble like that would be much easier to snag a branch and tear. 

I would avoid a roof with that many possible "snag" points. JMHO. 

Punomatic said:
I'd be concerned about that rip in the overhead inside the trailer. How is that related to the really poor looking roof installation? I'd be concerned that something went through the roof and then the roof was repaired by an amateur who didn't quite know how to do it. That would make me wonder about what else had been "cobbled" together. I'd pass, if I were you.

LOL, I won't be buying anything anytime soon, and definitely not that one!  Though I do like that model, it does appear to have some shortcomings. 

Furthermore, note the following copied from the ad:  "The trailer will have salvage title due left side damage. Please look at over 150 pictures bellow. Trailer is road worthy and pulls strait. Trailer has Ohio salvage certificate of title. Trailer has no smell of smoke or wet. Trailer is sold AS-IS, It is currently not registered. The buyer will have to register it. "

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-FOREST-RIVER-XLR-HYPER-LITE-27HFS-CAMPING-TOY-HAULER-TRAILER-SLIDE-/332129255913?forcerrptr=true&hash=item4d547241e9:g:WggAAOSwXeJYGrPQ&item=332129255913

That doesn't look like a TPO roof to me; it looks more like classic EPDM rubber.  TPO is more rugged than EPDM, but is still vulnerable to tears if a tree branch scrapes it.

Back
Top Bottom