Would anyone here find this useful

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Would the program mentioned below be useful

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bill42

A program I am developing called Simple Notes (name will change later), attached is a screenshot.

Main purpose or what it does...
Saves the text as you type or you can copy and paste information from elsewhere to the text area, there is no external file where the text is saved at, text is saved within program itself, you could also use program to store information (important or otherwise) and copy/move the file onto a floppy or external hard drive or other media storage in case of computer failure.

For Windows only, always free, stand-alone program, you would download to your desktop and use(no installer), size of program is 36 KB*, and no, there will be no spyware or malware, not even ads.

* right now its 36 KB from what you see from the screenshot, have ideas on other features.

Edit: added poll, be honest.

Attachments

• simplenotes.gif
    simplenotes.gif
    9 KB · Views: 44
Bill,

I'm not clear on what this program will do that any number of other text editors don't already do? What is the advantage of storing the data within the program when you would have to save it for later use anyway? Perhaps you could expand on it.

Simlpy write text, without the worry of saving what you write, program automatically saves for you.

Made program couple years ago, thought about improving it.

It may be my failing memory, but I believe the Mac had something like that years ago.  (It may still have it although I haven't used a Mac since OS X first came out.)  It was called sticky notes or something like that.  The window you wrote on looked like a little Post-It note.  I never quite figured out how to use it, so I didn't.  Most of my "notes to self" I put on my PDA.

-Dave

Well, may be let people try it and see, this is just temporary and I will delete link later (unless Admin or Mods delete thinking its not safe, trust me it is).

Windows XP: [link removed] (this is an executable stand-alone file), download to your desktop, if you want to try it.

If you have older Windows you may need to download another file from Microsoft, but for just trying it, best to have XP.

Several PC probrams some dating all the way back to DOS and even one program I used on the Commodore 64 all had that feature.  IT can indeed be very useful,  Very useful indeed.  If you are in an area where power fails or cords can be tripped or your computer likes to BSOD on you (ON a Commodore 64 that is the BSOL (Blue Screen of Life) the normal starting/standby screen is blue

John In Detroit, huh, not even sure what you're saying.

Or how about a stop watch(see attached image), made this last year when satellite was slower then molasses for about week, wanted something to time page loads, didn't care about other stop watches found on the internet, so made my own.

These have nothing to with April 1st.

Attachments

• stopwatch.gif
    stopwatch.gif
    5.9 KB · Views: 19
You were describing a feature of many programs going all the way back to the Commodore 64 called AUTOSAVE,  With AUTOSAVE the document you are editing is saved every period of time, Some times with increasing version identifiers, sometimes just jusing "Save with replace" depending on the features of the program.

As I said, Commodore 64's had it (It was a feature of the GEOS operating system) and some DOS programs I've used over the years had it.  Iti s not a new feature.

It is, however, a good one.

Never used a commodore 64 (but I did use a vic-20*), didn't use DOS, at least I don't recall anything.

* still sitting in my closet, works also, minus a few broken keys, image 1 and image 2.

Correction.

Programs above developed with Microsoft Visual Basic 6 Professional SP6, thats all I know, eventually going to learn something else that I can make cross-platform programs, also see 2nd part of my signature.

Bill42 said:
Never used a commodore 64 (but I did use a vic-20*), didn't use DOS, at least I don't recall anything.

My basement contains a working VIC-20 (At least lat time I tried it) that can run on 12vdc as well as 9vac (Or 120 via a  brick) a working Commodore SX-64  There should be a classic 64 and perhaps a couple of 128's.

Oh yes, and a COCO if memory serves.  Never used that, did test it, it worked.

In addition to PC's of all ages  Most of this stuff is going to the dump sooner or later, Less someone happens by that wants a few pieces.

I really liked that old VIC though, with just 5K of ram and only 3.5 (UP TO 28 if you worked on it) K of ram to play with folks tended to write nice tight, clean code... Today with often well over a GIG to play with....

Well, let's just say the code to do what used to fit in 2K of ram, not takes 200 MEG
* still sitting in my closet, works also, minus a few broken keys, image 1 and image 2.

Correction.

John, you could give some to whoever collects old computers.

Going to let this topic die out, meaning its my last post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom