LT tire recommendations for a 1/4 ton TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

massspike

I have a 2016 F150 and am going to replace the crappy P rated tires it came with to improve the handling when towing. I am looking at 18" LT's with a 123/120 load index and E rated sidewalls. I don't care about their snow handling (I have winter wheels/tires) or off-road capability. I want something that is optimal for highway driving.

Opinions?

Also does the speed rating really matter...the tires that pop up on a search are all over the map (R, S, and T >> a 10kph top speed difference)...has anybody noticed a difference?

I'll be watching this thread.  Got a 2016 4X4 and not exactly crazy about the tires either.

I'm partial to Bridgestone A/T Revos on a 4X4.  Had them on my F250 and they were bulletproof.

There are several sites that have user reviews of tires.  Tirerack.com is one of them. (I think)

E range tires are overkill for an F-150 and you will hate the ride, I bought a slightly used set for our 2500 for that reason.

8Muddy. 
I'm running Hankook AtM's on my Jeep.  I'm using 30x10.50-15s, but they come in other sizes.  The LT's are like 8 ply rated and after wearing out 4 sets(one set went from my Jeep(40,000 miles)to a '61 F100(about a year, no odometer)and are still running on my wife's '54 Chevy panel), I 've never had a flat.  Oops, I lied, picked up a 16d sinker in one of them, but no tire I know can stand up to that.  Never had a flat caused by a rock or any other off-road hazard.

First, the F150 is a half ton truck, not a 1/4 ton.

And you don't need an supersize wheel like 20", since you just end up using a lower profile tire to offset the increased wheel size. Just get an LT (Light Truck) tire in roughly the same size as the P-tires. Probably in Load Range D or maybe E, though I expect E will be overkill. You need a tire rated to handle your axle weights, which probably isn't all that high on a 150.

So, what size tires do you now have, and what are the axle GAWR's on your particular truck? They will be on a tire & weight placard, probably on the driver door post.

Yes the speed rating matters. It needs to be at least adequate for the max speed you ever drive. If you never drive over 75, then the typical "L" rating is fine (that's probably what the P-tires you now have are). "R" is good for 106 mph, if speed is your thing. Anything more is gilding the lilly on an F150.

If you want 20" wheels with a low profile 45 series tire and a "Z" speed  rating (149 mph), it would likely impress passers-by but have about zero effect on towing capability. Or anything else except your wallet.

Just my opinion, and worth every penny it cost, too!

Gary just saved me a bunch of typing.

Check the tire placard on the driver door and note especially the rear axle weight rating.  Divide by 2 for two tires.  Make sure the load rating of the tire you choose equals or exceeds this number.  Bigger or heavier tires will NOT increase your carrying capacity.  Bigger or heavier tires WILL degrade ride quality.

The rear axle rating is 3800 lbs >> 1900 lb per tire and the originals had a 2600 lb (114T) rating which should have been more than enough...but they suck especially under load. What drove it home was how much better the truck drives with my snows on.

According to Tire Rack's fitment tool, I have a choice of 114T D's (which I have) or 123/120S E's (3400lb). So the $1000 question is: do I have dud 114T tires and should just buy a better set or do I move up to 123S tires?

I like a truck to ride like a truck.  I'll go for the Load range E tires and throw away the factory shocks.

I have used B.F. Goodrich All-Terrain T/A's on just about every truck I've had, including 1/2 tons. I use the LT version, not the P rated. I have not had any problems on the highway, and they don't make a lot of noise either. Treadwear hasn't been an issue. If you want a less aggressive tread, check out their Commercial T/A's.

LT tires will have stiffer sidewalls and that will improve handling with a heavy load on the back. Most half tons trucks are actually used as personal transport rather than hauling much, so they are offered with P (Passenger) tires for a nicer ride, but a "truck tire" is better if you use it as a truck and carry heavy loads.

In my opinion, buying an excessive load rating is of no extra value. With a 3800 lb axle, any tire that can carry at least 2400 lbs/tire is all that you can benefit from. That means a load index of 111 or greater. The 114's will be rated for 2601 lbs each.

Gary, where we live in Arkansas there's a lot of really terrible dirt roads.  It's common to run heavier than required LT tires to avoid having too many flats.  I've got a friend who's got a section he cut out of an 8 ply tire that has a rock about the size of my fist stuck through it.

Maybe I'm off base, but in my mind if a truck feels squirmy, or not handling well when your hauling a trailer there is probably a more serious concern than the tires.

If you upgrade to an E rated tire, remember the inflation pressure and load carrying ability doesn't change compared to the lower rated tire.

The higher load rating comes at the higher inflation pressures, and you'll continue to be limited to the maximum load and inflation pressure limits of the rims.

The new tires may be able to handle 80 PSI but you can't inflate them that high unless the rims are also rated for that pressure.

RoyM said:
E range tires are overkill for an F-150 and you will hate the ride, I bought a slightly used set for our 2500 for that reason.

I suppose that would be personal preference.....

The ride quality of Nitto LT275.65R18 "E" Terra Grapplers rides fine for me.
I did lose .5mpg over stock P rated tires.
The firm feel over the road is a plus in my book.....double down on that when towing.

Back
Top Bottom