Florida: flat tow equipment requirments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dzldust

can anybody point me in the direction for finding out whats required by Florida state law when flat towing my 1998 Subaru forester ?My Subaru says its 3020# I guess I need the whole braking system since Florida is 3000# and over

This gets fuzzy in a hurry, cause a car under tow is not considered a "trailer" under the letter of the law. There are special regs for towed cars.

The most important law, though, is Newton's Law concerning bodies in motion. Even 3020 lbs of extra, unbraked weight is significant, and whatever you are towing it with, it's brake system is NOT sized to handle the extra towed weight, The brakes in the motorhome are designed to stop it's own weight (GVWR), and nothing more. You really need brakes on the toad.

That's what I was thinking,what stinks is I'll
Have almost as much in tow bar,mount and brake unit as I have in whole car.Debating getting a small aluminum trailer with brakes

What Gary said is exactly correct.

The trailer is certainly an option.  You get lights and (surge?) brakes all in one package.  It can be used with other cars.  It is much easier to back a trailer than a toad.

The negatives are you must now find some place to store the trailer while camping.  It is generally considered a bigger hassle to load and store a trailer than connect a toad.  You add the weight of the trailer to your gross combined weight.

Note also that the towing laws, i.e. brakes, safety chains, overall length, are based on the state you are in, not the state you are from.  Your home state drivers license and licence plates are valid anywhere in the US, but speed limits and towing laws are set by the state you are in.

Go on eBay and Craigslist, I picked up falcon 2 tow bar and brake buddy for 600.00, all I had to get was a base plate for my toad.

dzldust said:
It's ok tow flat tow this model forester

Great, we were looking at a Subaru one time and if I remember right the one we looked at could not be flat towed period. I don't remember the model but it had belonged to my sister's deceased husband.

Yeah, DW had to get rid of her beloved Tribeca because it couldn't be towed 4 down.  Some of them with manual transmissions apparently can, as we saw several last year.

You can pick up a used tow dolly for around $600-$1000. Not as convenient as flat tow, but less expensive for occasional towing, and you can tow other vehicles than the Forester. However, some 4-wheel or AWD vehicles cannot be dolly-towed because the AWD system gets messed up when two wheels roll and the other two do not.

Back
Top Bottom