Tag Axle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schoolsout2

We just took delivery on a2014 Tour with a Freightliner tag axle.  I love the coach and the great ride.  I do not understand the dump action of the tag.  When I dump the tag, how high should it raise?  How fast should it raise? Should an alarm sound?  My neighbor with a Monaco says his raises quite a bit with an audible tone.  I read the descriptions of what the switch does but am not clear.

Nice coach!  One of our favorites! 

The tag on the Freightliner doesn't actually raise, it just dumps the air.  You should get at TAG DUMP! readout on the information center and a tone when you push the dump button, or when backing up.  Some chassis do actually raise the axle using a second set of air bags, but the Winnie does not.  The idea is to get the weight off of the axle.

I'm ignorant on nearly all things diesel, including "temporary" tag axles.  It what situations would you NOT want to have it in a weight-bearing position?

Someday I'd like to own a DP, so I might as well start learning now.  ;)

Primarily in sharp turns.  That is why it does it automatically in reverse, as reverse typically involves maneuvering.  The new high end tag axles like on the Gran Tour (maybe even the Tour) actually steer with the coach so I don't think they have to dump, but for the straight track tag axles like mine, they will really scrub if not relieved of their load in a tight turn.

Ah that makes perfect sense.  I just returned from chaperoning a youth church trip (which involved 250 junior high students on 6 charter buses!) and I noticed that all the buses had steering tax axles.  They were Prevost DP's, not sure on the model... and definitely were able to take some pretty sharp turns in & out of parking lots, around corners, etc.

Our Tour will automatically dump the tag axle's pressure whenever the transmission is shifted into reverse, and I have the option of dumping the tag when we're moving forward, but only below a certain speed (I think it's 10 mph.) In both cases, the purpose is to enable the coach to turn sharper, and not drag (skid) the rear tires as much.

The air-ride system puts down-pressure on the tag axle during "normal" operations, so you can carry a lot more weight. Dumping the tag doesn't actually "raise" (lift) the axle, it just removes the down-pressure on it, so the rear tires don't skid as much when you're turning sharply. The rear tires are behind the pivot-point - the drive tires. They skid sideways during sharp turns, which increases the circumference of the turn, somewhat. If you dump the tag, it reduces that sideways skidding, which enables you to turn a little sharper - that's what it comes down to.

The Tour's tag dump system does not enable you to increase tag pressure to lift the coach above its ride height. Some systems did, but not the Tour's.

Kev

(Edit:) When you dump the tag, or shift into reverse, you should hear a "chime" and the Freightliner Info Center display should say, "Tag Dumped." At least that's what ours does.

Thanks Kevin.  I had problems backing into a site that was on an uphill slope.  I dug in.  A Monica owner kept telling me to dump the tag and raise up the wheels on the tag axle.  I could not find a way to do it and was sure it was not possible from what I read in the manuals.  With a lot of help digging out, we were able to settle in and enjoy our new home.  I will not take a site like this again, especially on such soft ground.  I did not have any problem with our 2010 Tour on the same site, but it was not a Tag.

I suppose because of cost, Freightliner doesn't pull the tag axle up. Probably has a lot to do with what house builders (like Winnebago) are willing to pay for a chassis.

I talked with FCCC and they said they do not build tags that lift.  The tag dumps in reverse and under 8 mph.  Mine appears to be working properly.  I am just the talk of the CG this week.

Heck, the tag axle on my '96 Southwind gasser didn't lift or dump.  In sharp turns, the tag tires just dragged sideways a bit.  That's not a great thing for tire wear, but it's not a serious issue either. At least not on RVs that typically see low mileage and negligible tire wear.

I put up with the popping and squealing and twisting of the wheels on our 17000 lb 5th wheel in a tight turn so I'm used to dragging an axle :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom