CCW permit traveling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragginourbedaround

I know what to do when I'm stopped by LE and I'm carrying or it's in a locked container. My question is if you are driving through any state other than the state you received your permit, does your CCW permit show up in their data base when they pull you over? Or, if you were traveling through a state and a LEO was behind you and ran your plate would it show your CCW permit and give them a reason to pull you over?

Missouri just changed their law where NO CCW permit is required any longer.  Not so sure I am in favor of it but the backlog and expense was getting to be ridiculous.

Bill

While I have many firearms, I do not have a CCW. Never felt the need for one.
That being said, I believe it's on a state by state basis. You are expected to be aware of the laws of carrying firearms when traveling in any state you happen to be in.
Your second question is a great one. Does anyone know if the registered owner of a vehicle's CCW permit appears on the LEIN when checked?

Yes it does......  I travel to new jearsy  and was stopped at a DUI check point.  Did the talk with the first officer and was waved thure no problem. And as I started pulling out another officer jumped out in front of me forceing me to slam on my brakes..... Came over to me with in a very .
authoritative matter and demanded to know where my gun was....... I in a sarcastic matter in response told him in my gun safe at home in Virginia because I knew my CCW wasn't worth the paper it was printed on north of the Mason-Dixon line..... at that point he asked to search my vehicle. I told him  him no he did not have my consent.... at that point he threatened to bring in a K-9 team.  I responded that that's still would not give him consent to search because I knew the dogs would hint on my vehicle because . He knew I carried firearms in it and it was a hundred percent positive the dogs are going to hit.... then we descended into a small argument over how my CCW did not give him probable cause to assume I had a gun on me because I knew the laws...... at that point the supervisor on site let me go.........
It is not worth going to jail to carry a gun somewhere you cannot legally do it like DC Maryland and New Jersey...... I recommend you leave at home it only bring it with you when you know you're in a state that recognizes your CCW

Based on Robert's experience in NJ, maybe the northeastern states have some sort of agreement that allows them to access each others' CCW records.  But I know for a fact in IL that the computer checks only recognize and display IL CCW permits.  There is no nationwide database of concealed carry permit holders that all states can access, like there is for driver's licenses, criminal history checks, and active warrants (for example).

There are lots of previous discussions here (on the forum) about safe/legal traveling with a firearm in your RV.  Here's a current ongoing discussion with some good references.  Best place to have an RV firearm (to be legal) would be disassembled in a locked container, somewhere in the rear part of the RV "house" where it is not immediately accessible to any occupants. 

For any states you are planning to travel through, you can call the state police headquarters and ask them for that states' guidelines... but that doesn't override local ordinances that cities may have.  For instance, Chicago has so many weird rules that it's like another country compared to the rest of Illinois.  Which is one reason I never go there!

I anticipate that eventually, CCW permits from one state will be recognized as valid in other states (similar to driver's licenses).  But it may be awhile until all those planets are aligned!

There has been a lot of debate about this, and some states do in fact link your permit to your DL.  Others do not.
There really is no way in knowing, which is why it is best to carry or transport your firearm according to the laws
respectively.  My assumption is that it depends primarily on how your state of residence handles it, as to whether LEO's in other states have access to that information.  Furthermore I would get use to the idea of this becoming more common as everything becomes more and more instantaneous. Just as license plate scanners are used routinely I would expect all of this to become further linked in the future.  It's where we are heading, and have been for a very long time.

If your a regular visitor to firearms forms you will find them filled with stories like mine. ....... Places like nj and DC have such Draconian laws that they have even thought about going after a professor for possessing a 230 year old Revolutionary War error Flintlock as if it was a modern gun....

robertusa123 said:
If your a regular visitor to firearms forms you will find them filled with stories like mine. ....... Places like nj and DC have such Draconian laws that they have even thought about going after a professor for possessing a 230 year old Revolutionary War error Flintlock as if it was a modern gun....

Think I recall that story.
What do you expect from a state (NJ) that considers bb guns, and slingshots (seriously) a firearm?

TheNewhalls said:
I would do that, except I drag my bed around everywhere I go.  :-\

FYI federal laws protects you to transport a firearm through any state (emphasis on through, ie interstate) provided
it is legal to posses where your travel began and ended.  Most states allow for transporting a firearm unloaded and stored in accordance with federal law. I simply don't stay in the states that do not.  A couple different carry permits will get you the lions share of reciprocity to carry a concealed firearm. 

Spend some time at handgunlaw.us

Gods Country said:
FYI federal laws protects you to transport a firearm through any state (emphasis on through, ie interstate) provided
it is legal to posses where your travel began and ended.  Most states allow for transporting a firearm unloaded and stored in accordance with federal law. I simply don't stay in the states that do not.  A couple different carry permits will get you the lions share of reciprocity to carry a concealed firearm. 

Spend some time at handgunlaw.us
Nj is also know for ignoring that law.  You will be arrested  they will seize you rv and gun. You will spent days and thousands on a lawer.  They will eventually drop the charges.  And you will.then discover it will.cost you anouther few thousand dollars to get your rv out of impound  and forget aboit getting your gun back

It's been a while, but the last I checked even the NJSP website acknowledges FOPA.
NJ is wrought with peril for sure. 

We all need to make our own decisions.

TheNewhalls said:
Or, if you were traveling through a state and a LEO was behind you and ran your plate would it show your CCW permit and give them a reason to pull you over?

NV CCW application did not have any slot to enter a vehicle license plate number.
An officer could run your plate and nothing regarding a CCW permit holder would show up.

If your state CCW application requires a vehicle license plate number, it may well show up on a random license plate check.

robertusa123 said:
Nj is also know for ignoring that law.  You will be arrested  they will seize you rv and gun. You will spent days and thousands on a lawer.  They will eventually drop the charges.  And you will.then discover it will.cost you anouther few thousand dollars to get your rv out of impound  and forget aboit getting your gun back

Remind me to NEVER go to or travel through NJ. 

They also won't let you fuel your own vehicle except maybe a motorcycle from what I have heard.

Based on all of the above, I would then conclude the best course of action, if planning a trip, is to check with each individual state in which you would be traveling through and find out what that states laws require if traveling with a firearm.
If there is no national data base, as scottydl mentions, I feel that's kind of dumb. There should be.
And federal laws vs. local ordinances is a royal PITA for a traveler. Way too complicated.

If I was a LEO and ran a license plate for whatever reason, I certainly would appreciate the knowledge that the registered owner of that vehicle has a CCW! At that point the officer will know there might be a firearm involved so he/she can prepare themselves.

denmarc said:
If I was a LEO and ran a license plate for whatever reason, I certainly would appreciate the knowledge that the registered owner of that vehicle has a CCW! At that point the officer will know there might be a firearm involved so he/she can prepare themselves.

The chances of someone with a concealed license doing something wrong is a number with a lot of zeros in it - like .000001.

I would much rather know if a criminal had an illegal firearm on them.  Oh but the criminals don't go through background checks and
training to be included in a database that is tied to a license plate number.  Many times a criminal doesn't own a car so it wouldn't show
up anyways.  More likely to be a passenger in a vehicle with a gun that the LEO would never know about - until it's too late.

So is it unfair to know about a concealed carrier, which is most likely to never do anything wrong?

If that was the case, then IF I were a LEO I would feel most comfortable approaching a CC vs. someone I didn't know anything about.

I am not a lawyer.  Do not that the following as legal advice:

There is a VAST difference between "carrying" and "transporting" a firearm.

I never "carry" while travelling, I "transport".  In my truck it is in a lock box behind the seat.  On the motorcycle it is in a lockbox in a saddlebag.  In the car, in the trunk. 

Federal law provides that it is lawful to "transport" from where ever it is legal for you to own to where ever it is legal to own. (Which means you would be in compliance with federal law to transport through D.C., Maryland, NY, etc)

Usually, the best approach is the common sense approach.  Put yourself in the position of the Police Officer:  would you like to be surprised to find a person with a firearm within easy reach?

When stopped (almost never),. If I am asked I clearly state "I am not armed"".  A firearm in the trunk, storage in your RV, etc.  is NOT armed.

The above is informational only. 

As always - the discussion is interesting - BUT, the reality of the matter is that if/when you're stopped, the law is whatever the law enforcement folks making the stop say it is.  You'll be free to debate it in court after the fact and most likely at significant expense.  At the time of the stop itself - it doesn't matter if you're far more knowledgeable on the law than the LEO who has stopped you.  You'll never hear a LEO tell you "Damn Mr. Smith .. I'm sure glad you cleared that up for me!  I was a little confused about that constitutional technicality ... (or) ...  Thanks for explaining the differences between "carrying" versus "transporting!  Sorry for the inconvenience - enjoy the rest of your trip. 

If you are stopped and there's a weapon involved - you're along for whatever ride the LEO involved decides to take you on.    Make your peace with that - to think otherwise is misguided and will only serve to make the ride a little more bumpy. 

I read an article today that states the North Dakota legislature is working on a bill to eliminate the need for a CCW permit.  It would require a driver to inform a law enforcement officer if they are carrying a concealed weapon.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom