GPS ... Now that you have it, how are you mounting it ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Howard R

Pretty much decided to get a Garmin 760LMT GPS ... wondering how others are mounting it on your mh dash area.  Have tried the suction cup on window in the past with a Tom Tom, but it would vibrate loose.  Setting it on center dash leaves it a little far away. 

Really like using a tablet with CoPilot program, but again how to mount.  So how do you do it?

Howard and Kelly

I purchased a weighted base that the suction cup attaches to.
My windshield is too much of a reach.  Also makes it easier for the co-pilot to tinker around.

Works fine.  Pops off once in a great while, but it just tips forward.  Doesn't fall.

If you moisten the suction cup a bit before putting it on the window, it will stick much better.  I always have a bottle of water with me and just put a drop or two on it.

I use a bean bag mount, attach suction cup mount to a smooth section on bean bag mount.  Because dash slopes toward windshield I have made a Velcro strap to keep it from moving around.  Can take picture if interested.  Dick   

Like nvrver, I use a beanbag mount (well, it's not quite the same, but it came with my dezl 560), and it mostly sits on the dash just fine. However it has occasionally slid a little, so I just take a piece of the blue painter's tape, make it into a double-sided sticky, and put it on bottom of the mount -- it eliminates the sliding, even under heavy braking. This make it easy to move to another vehicle when I wish.

nvrver said:
I use a bean bag mount, attach suction cup mount to a smooth section on bean bag mount.  Because dash slopes toward windshield I have made a Velcro strap to keep it from moving around.  Can take picture if interested.  Dick   

Picture would be good Dick ... thanks.

Tom, cup holder would be good except it's low on the dog house and would only get to about seat level.  I have been using a cup holder mount for the cell phone, but have to look down to use.  I have seen taller ones, so that might work ... wonder how much it would move around with the longer arm.

I think most are on the same page as it were ... would like to have it mounted on top of dash,above the radio, to the right side of instrument cluster I think.  At one time had a Tom Tom mounted to windshield at left edge of dash, but it would fall off the glass ... good idea of the water on suction cup.

Howard

Howard, when I mentioned something like a beanbag, it was actually this Garmin accessory, which sits on the dash and works well. The only reason I need the painter's tape in my Ventana is that the dash is very sloped. It works well in my F-150, too.

Tried to post picture, said to large.  Using the same camera that I have posted pictures from in the past.  My picture size has not changed.  Dick   

In my Class A I took and made a 10"x10"x1" piece of maple and screwed smoked plexiglass to it and then was able to mount my TPMS and my GPS by suction cup. The maple is heavy enough to hold it in place on the dash and it definitely will not tip over.

nvrver said:
Tried to post picture, said to large.  Using the same camera that I have posted pictures from in the past.  My picture size has not changed.  Dick 
Not all images produced by a camera are the same size. The amount of colors has an effect on file size. For example a solid black image will have a very small file size and an image of fall colors with a ton of leaves will have a very large file size (relatively).

When I bought my class C, it had a typical rear view mirror in the middle of the windshield. Since I have no window in back, it's pretty useless. I had an old 'ball mount' for a Garmin that I didn't need. I butchered the rear view mirror and ball mount and epoxied them together. Works perfectly. I also mounted my Scanguage to the top of the GPS and ran the wires through the headliner.

I use three of these for TPMS, GPS and phone

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011P2B8TI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Work well. There is a possibility they may leave a mark if removed - I haven't tried

I haven't got the GPS yet, but some good ideas here.  I'll follow up with my solution ...

Thanks.

Howard

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom