St. Louis Arch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedandSilver

I'm thinking about going to the St. Louis Arch from a campground about 100 miles away (Huzzah Valley) via a motorcycle from the CG.
Would be the 1st FULL week of June, 2017

On Google Earth the image is from April last year (2016) and it looks like they were doing a lot of reconstruction work around the arch.

I would like to know if it's all done and if there are any tips you can give on where to park with a motorcycle.
I understand you can go up in the arch for a nice view of the city.  Anyone know the cost?  Cost to park?  Is there a best time of day to go?
Is there anything really close by that I should look at or visit while there?

If there is a lot to see or do there - I might try to hit the area After a motorcycle rally near The Lakes of the Ozarks. 
Would be the 3rd week in June.
So if there are any campgrounds that are reasonable and you can point me in the right direction I would appreciate any info. 

If you haven't already, check out the official STL Arch website: http://www.gatewayarch.com/  Under the "Visit" tab there is parking information and hours of operation.

The website currently mentions at the top of the page that the tram (what they call the elevator) to the top of the arch is closed until March 2017 (not that far away though) along with much of the underground museum for renovations.  I'd imagine all that will be cleared up by June when you are visiting.  We've been there during warm months before, when there are live bands playing on the Arch steps and other special events going on.  Pretty neat... might want to re-check their "Events" calendar as summer nears to see what might be on the agenda that week that you could catch.

The nearby historic riverfront area is called Laclede's Landing (http://lacledeslanding.com/) and they also advertise Arch parking.  It's a cool area to visit too, with lots of regional shops and restaurants.  My wife and I went to a "dueling piano" bar there called The Big Bang some years back... which is apparently gone (I tried to Google it) but there are a bunch of other ones listed.  St. Louis is a jazz city, if you're into that kind of thing.  Or baseball season will be in full swing in June, and Busch Stadium (home of the St. Louis Cardinals) is nearby also.  July 4th is a huge event at Laclede's, with fireworks over the Mississippi River launched from a floating barge.

I'll also mention that certain parts of St. Louis are not exactly safe anymore, so stick with daylight and evening hours for entertainment in populated areas.  If you will be drinking, stay somewhere close by and arrange your transportation in advance.  That advice probably goes for any major metropolitan area these days.

I have been to the arch once nearly 30 years ago, and the thing I recall the most was the 3 hour wait for our scheduled ticket time for the ride up to the top.

If you're claustrophobic, you will not like the little pods that take you to the top of the arch. I took one look at the "test" pod and bought a single ticket for Mike. If you do decide to go, tickets sell out early in the day.

We went in July last year.  It was a total mess with construction.  I think that kept a lot of people away, because we bought tickets to go up the Arch about 30 minutes before our trip up.  Not sure when the construction was supposed to be finished.  We drove to the waterfront to right by the boats on the river and walked up a few flights of stairs to the Arch.  Easy in- easy out. 

Laclede's Landing is all but dead.  With the construction on the arch grounds it's been basically cut off and left to rot. I am not sure that any of the restaurants scottydl mentioned are even open any more. 

Back
Top Bottom