No double space anymore! (after a period)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
With all the bad grammar, bad spelling and bad punctuation I see on the Internet I think the number of spaces after a period is very low on my list of complaints.

Well, I was  to double sapce and won't change, it helps the readability.

Tom said:
Colleges I attended had "form manuals" or some such, which defined how they wanted things written, although I don't recall what they said about spaces. Did your post graduate college have such a document?

Indeed, but different courses/professors had different preferences for which format should be used. At different points of my post-grad "career" I used up to 4 different formatting methods... ASA, APA, MLS, and CMS. I have no idea what any of them say about spacing!

SeilerBird said:
With all the bad grammar, bad spelling and bad punctuation I see on the Internet I think the number of spaces after a period is very low on my list of complaints.

Yeah I realize the standards are low (which is fine!) on the internet. Just a weird (to me) update that I recently learned about for more "official" correspondence, and I'm having a hard time breaking myself of the period-space-space habit.

In my previous career I was taught "Completed Staff Work".  That included the double space after the period.  I do it without thinking about it.  It's just automatic now.

Yep, I'm a double space fan.  Learned it in my typing class many decades ago.  Kind of strange that I never heard of the single space rule until I read this post.  Oh well... it is what it is.

I  think  double  spacing  came  up  when  you  had  to  write  a  two  page  report  and  had  nothing  to  say.  Just  think  you  can  fill  up  two pages  with  spaces  and  not  just  after  a  period  .

Another  change  is  coming  .  They  are  not  teaching  cursive  handwriting  now  .

Ooh good question and I think I still do it on a keyboard - will check later - was taught this as a typist. However I don't do it on my tablet or phone. Probably because they automatically put spaces in, even though it's only 1.

I'm a double space kind of guy and don't see any changes for me in the near or distant future.  That is how I was taught in 1970-1971 in typing class.  I took three semesters of typing and my reason for taking three instead of one (one was required), is that most of the class in the second and third semester was............Female!  It was just me and my buddy Stan, surrounded by 33 high school girls.  ;D

Another thing that I see frequently is the lack of a comma when needed.  Example:  Yesterday we went to town and shopped, had dinner, and saw a movie.  Lots of folks would leave out the comma after the word "dinner".  I was taught that when you structure a sentence using multiple nouns, like the above example, a comma is required after each and every one.

Don't get me started on the cursive subject!

I was taught to double space following the end of a sentence.  At one time I had a word processor that either auto-double spaced or reacted to a double space differently than a single space. forget which been around 30+ years.

Sometimes I even double space.

Apparently my childhood was deprived, since nobody taught me about spacing between sentences except that there was some. Maybe because I never had a typing class? We wrote in cursive or printed, so the notion of "single" or "double" did not apply.

I mostly double-space when using a keyboard, simply because it improves readability in longer paragraphs. Never really thought about having a rule about it, though.

So double space is out and single space is in.  Being over 70 that will be a hard habit to break, been double spacing all my life.

Gary RVer Emeritus said:
Apparently my childhood was deprived, since nobody taught me about spacing between sentences except that there was some. Maybe because I never had a typing class? We wrote in cursive or printed, so the notion of "single" or "double" did not apply.

I mostly double-space when using a keyboard, simply because it improves readability in longer paragraphs. Never really thought about having a rule about it, though.
Me, too!

Finally, an explanation of why some folks' space bars/keys last half as long  ???

3 semesters of typing in high school and I was taught to double space.  I don't see the need to change, because I think it's easier to read.  In fact, I notice that if I double space while texting, my phone puts the period in front of the double space automatically.

I think it may be another consequence of Twitter, where character count, counts.

Get off my lawn!

Old_Crow said:
I think it may be another consequence of Twitter, where character count, counts.

Get off my lawn!

Haha on both of those. And yeah I've been single spacing on text messages for a few years because I have a Tracfone (no unlimited texts) and try to keep messages on one page. That's a dying tactic too, with most people I know sending 5 rapid fire texts with a few words each to say 5 things... instead of taking a few seconds to think and put it all in one message. ???

I was taught to double space, and do so except when it is at the end of a line.  With wrap around text, the second space causes the first word on the next line to start one space too far in.  So, that may be why they now say one space only after the period.
    GWCOWGILL, are you referring to a double line space at the end of a paragraph?  Otherwise, I join the ranks of the confused as well.

Ed

I only could read about half the thread before I couldn't take it anymore.
While I concur with the OP, It seems change is hard thing to accept for most. Interesting.
Change sucks sometimes. Those of us at, or getting close to, retirement age remember the old days. Emphasis on the word "old".
I don't care for it either. But none of us can stop it.

Did I miss anything?

xrated said:
Another thing that I see frequently is the lack of a comma when needed.  Example:  Yesterday we went to town and shopped, had dinner, and saw a movie.  Lots of folks would leave out the comma after the word "dinner".  I was taught that when you structure a sentence using multiple nouns, like the above example, a comma is required after each and every one.

Don't get me started on the cursive subject!

Ah the Oxford comma. Still a MUCH debated topic. I personally am in favor but others are not. I have a friend who works PR for a big national chain store and they conduct entire meetings based on their view of their PR staff using the Oxford comma. Serious stuff.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom