2013 F150 Ecoboost vs 2016 Ram 1500 BigHorn 5.7 Hemi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BroRobin

Need advice. 
I have a 2010 Keystone 285RL Ultra Light with Dry Weight of 4977 (as per Keystones Specs). I currently have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7 V8 that I pull it with and have had NO Problems.  We lost our car in the Tornado 01/22/17 in our area and we are looking to replace with a newer truck. For the short term the New Truck will be our "Family=Wife and I" vehicle and I'll keep the Dodge for my day to day vehicle.

I've found a 2013 F150 XLT with the 3.5 EcoBoost with 97,600 miles. Very Clean with great service record and price is just under 22k.  Asking Price about $900 above NADA. Dealer will add 3yr/38000 mile Comprehensive Warranty with no deductable or copay at no charge.

I also have found a 2016 Ram SLT Big Horn package with 5.7 Hemi and 22,800 miles. Very clean and great service record (for the limited miles and age) and price is just above 25K. Asking Price about 800 under NADA. Truck has remaining Factory Warranty and dealer oil changes for life of ownership.

Concerning thoughts: F150 = 3 years older, almost 75k more miles, but reported better fuel economy, not sure about over all towing strength.  Ram = Newer,  less miles and apparently stronger engine/drive train.

I know I'm comparing a "Newer Apple to and Older Orange" ;), but I need some educated advice.

I have no experience with the Ford Ecoboost.  But I have been very happy with my 2009 Ram 1500 5.7.  I get between 9 and 12 mpg while towing a 6300 lb, 28 ft TT.  Last spring I drove it to Tallahassee from Phoenix and I averaged 20 mpg going and 21 mpg coming home driving at the posted speed limit in each state.  80 mph in some sections of Texas.

Edit:  My son has a 2014 Ford 150, not ecoboost, and it does not ride nearly as well as the Ram. 

I know the Ram is a nice truck but the ecoboost will easily out pull it, used to use a 2012 to pull about 10,000 lb gooseneck horse trailer, pulled it with ease.

Jon

That Eco has over 97k miles, stuff is going to start to nickle and dime him to death. Brakes, alternator, water pump, etc. Not knocking the Eco, but the difference in mileage would be a killer for me. I pulled 8200# trailer with my 2013 Ram 5.7 and it handled it very well.

I too would recommend the RAM.  Its worth the extra $$ to get a truck with 70,000 less miles and three years newer.  The EcoBoost engines have been reliable, but if they need to be repaired, their high tech features can be expensive to repair.

Hi,
    I would go for the Ram.  It's newer and with less miles, so you have that going for you.  The newer tyranny's paired with the Hemi's in the Ram's are a better set up than the older trucks, regardless of make in my opinion.  I was a Ford guy all my life until my current truck, based on the drive train.  Not exactly what you're looking at, but they (Ram) seems to have a better handle on that equation over the last couple years than Ford in my opinion...

JT

2014 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi 68K miles
2017 Coachmen Adrenaline

Unless I really needed a truck to be my daily driver I'd keep towing the trailer with the truck I have and buy a reliable car to drive every day.

I own a 2013 F-150 with an eco.  It replaced a 2005 hemi ram.  I had nothing but problems with the dodge. I will never own one again.   

That being said, 90,000 miles on a 4 year old truck?  NO thanks.  Either engine will be an upgrade over what you have. 

I

Five different  Rams in our family since 1995 and no problems with either one.

My brother has a 2103 f150 ecoboost and gets 17mpg highway if he;s lucky.My previous 2010 Ram 1500 5.7 would get 17 to 18 highway and had zero problems up to 117,000 (I'm a maintenance stickler and always use Mobil 1) and traded it for a Ram 2500 6.4 since we purchased a bigger TT. My average highway mileage with the 6.4 and 3.73 axle is 17. I must confess I'm a Mopar person having grown up in a C,P,D dealership in the day when you could actually work on them with just hand tools.  :D Brother's F150 runs good and drives good but he is eyeing the Ram 1500 to replace it.

EcoBoost is a turbocharged 6 cylinder engine.

When the Pedal meets the Metal, there's really no substitute for cubic inches.

Ron

do your research on both trucks and engines.  check the service tech bulletins and recalls for both too.  check the tow ratings for both on the ford and ram tow rating guides.  they both sound like they have a lot of mileage for their respective years.

A 2013 truck with 97 thousand miles??? My boat puller is a f150 2006 with 55 thousand. I have other stuff to drive but somebody ran the pee outta the ford. No question...go Ram in this situation. Bigger block means it should stay together longer. I am a ford man for 40 plus years but I don't like how they pull more horsepower from smaller engine size. I guess I am old school...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom