Chevy Spark Towing Requirements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Old Forester

...2017 Chevy Spark (Manual Trans.)...Professionally set-up for towing with all RoadMaster hardware behind a Navion.  Chevy Spark's manual says to 1) put in neutral and 2) turn key to ACC.  Problem:  This Spark does not have a locking steering wheel.  Is turning the key to ACC solely to unlock steering?  I am thinking that the manual direction may be not appropriate for this model.  It appears that the steering is unlocked all the time, hence, I don't have to have a key in the ignition at all.  If this is the case I don't have to worry about battery drain or anything else.  I have approached my Chevy dealer mechanics, Chevy Corporate, RoadMaster, and nearly everywhere on the web: no clear answers.  I know the "safe answer" is to "do what the manual says," but I would appreciate an opinion: is the only reason to turn the key to ACC to unlock the steering wheel?  Whatdayathink?

I suspect you are right re the manual tranny procedure.  Newer cars sometimes need the key in ACC to move the gear shifter to Neutral, but I wouldn't think that applies to a manual tranny either.

New cars are so full of electronics that it's hard to guess why the procedures are what they are. Usually, though, having the ignition off is the safest position. And sadly, GM has a very poor track record of getting the owner manual tow procedure right the first time. Or even the second.

:) ...Just completed two long trips out-of-state on all manner of roads; the manual 2017 Chevy Spark, with the tranny in neutral and the accessory setting off, performed perfectly.  I wanted to make this point; the Chevy Spark in a manual config is super easy to tow, despite manual direction to turn on the accessory mode.  ...No dead battery, no problems!

Back
Top Bottom