installing a Winegard Rayzar Automatic antenna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

showet

Hello all,

I currently have a Winegard Sensar amplified antenna but I have purchased the Wingard Rayzar automatic antenna so that my wife can pick up the HD channels and not need to move and raise or lower the old antenna (which is not HD anyway).

Most of the instructions for the installation are clear enough but when it comes to running the coax it just says "Route the coax cable through the roof and ceiling to the chosen location".

Is there any reason I can't just use the existing cable and replace the existing power supply with the new one? This seems the most obvious, but I wanted to make sure it was just poorly written instructions and not something I was missing.

...so that my wife can pick up the HD channels and not need to move and raise or lower the old antenna (which is not HD anyway).

Unfortunately, due to a lot of marketing hype, many folks have the same misconception about "HD" antennas (no such thing). But an antenna doesn't know or care whether a TV signal is SD or HD or, or analog or digital or something else. It does care whether it is VHF or UHF, and the batwing (which is your old antenna) is better on VHF, but with the addition of the Wingman (basically a clip-on) it does very well indeed with UHF signals, though some of the later model batwings come with the Wingman built in.

I don't have any experience with the Rayzar, but suspect it won't do quite as well (it's a lot smaller), but I suppose the convenience may make it worth while for you.

Is there any reason I can't just use the existing cable and replace the existing power supply with the new one?

I'm not aware of any reason the old coax won't work, but I can't really address the power supply, though my suspicion is that you can do as you state.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom