Acorns on the roof

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeilerBird

Next week I am moving to a new site in the RV park I live in and I am all excited about the move. As you can see in the photo below I have a giant live oak tree right over where I will be parked and I just talked to the current resident of the site and he told me the sound of acorns hitting the roof of the RV is fairly unnerving. I always new this would be an issue but I also realized I have a great group of very intelligent RVers at my disposal and I am sure that you guys and gals will have some great ideas on how to combat the acorn noises. I can only imagine there will be some humorous ideas also. Trimming the tree is out of the question.  8)

Attachments

• New site.jpg
    New site.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 146
Living in a house with a metal roof and oak trees on two sides ourselves, we can only offer our sympathy.

In 2015 & 2016 our summer campsite had oaks and Ohio Buckeye trees overhead. You haven't lived until you hear a giant buckeye nut come crashing down!

We used to have an old tin roof hunting camp with a huge black walnut tree close by. When you got some wind and rain the tree was just close enough that if the wind was right the nuts would hit the roof. The rain always sounded nice but thos big old heavy nuts would have you looking for cover. :)

Tom, I've got the only idea that will actually work:

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Peltor-Earmuffs-Yellow-X2A/dp/B00CPCH86A/ref=sr_1_6?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1487734464&sr=1-6&keywords=earmuff

It could be worse!

You could be in the Florida Keys and have a coconut tree hanging over your RV.

Jack L

I don't have a clue to help you, but I have a pin oak in my backyard. That thing sheds acorns like you wouldn't believe. The worst part is trying to get them all up so they don't hurt your feet when walking around the yard.

Geez Tom I feel for you.  At our last house we added a $21K sunroom.  It was one of those with the sandwich type material including the roof which was metal.  After one year of hearing what sounded like a war fought with .22 rifles and skampering squirrels (they help shake the acorns down too), we elected to get out of Dodge.  Our animals were all shell shocked from the almost constant noise.  Six months after we moved, a very bad ice storm took down a couple of the offending oak trees right onto that sunroom.  Well, at least the new owner doesn't have to put up with that anymore.  Now for the kicker.  We recently put up a patio cover at our present home - same sandwich type material as we intend to eventually make it into a sunroom too.  BUT, despite having no trees near the patio, we elected to have regular asphalt shingles laid over the roof and this has worked wonders on keeping the noise from heavy rain down to reasonable levels.  As for your problem - well, sorry no easy solution.

Bill

We've been in that situation and it sounds like the squirrels are throwing the acorns at your roof or sometimes bowling on your roof! It's annoying, but you can get used to it.

what about if you get a roll of bubble wrap and tape it down all over the roof.
  ???

TonyDtorch said:
get a roll of bubble wrap...

duct tape it down all over the roof

or pool noodles, cover the roof with them They are cheap and you can make a raft to float you over to Boggy Creek Resort for some more of those delicious grits.

TheNewhalls said:
We've been in that situation and it sounds like the squirrels are throwing the acorns at your roof or sometimes bowling on your roof! It's annoying, but you can get used to it.

LOL... Squirrel bowling!!
I love that!

Attachments

• skwirrel.jpg
    skwirrel.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 63
Get someone to coat your roof w spray foam insulation.  ;D  Paint it black and it might not even look too bad.  Could even help your electric bill.

I'd go with the bubble wrap.

I was under an oak tree one winter. Every time I would drive to the grocery store, the roof sounded like a thousand marbles rolling off of it.

How about an RV port?

I've seen them self-built with PVC and canvas. Or just buy the steel frame minus the roof and cover with canvas.

Here are some prices and options:

https://www.carport1.com/carports-florida-metal-prices

Back
Top Bottom