Acorns on the roof

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well fall has came and went and I have now been living under the live oak for over a year and so far I still have only had one acorn hit the roof that I heard. So I am guessing it is not as big a problem as I was told it would be. Thanks for all the suggestions. :))

At least maybe not under that particular tree in this particular year...

The size and quantity of acorns varies year to year - this year the several oaks surrounding our home produced few on the oak species with big honking nuts, and almost zero of the smaller acorns on the other oak. Two years ago we were overwhelmed with acorns, a veritable carpet of them under both the species of oak we have. Nobody yet understands why there is such a wide year-to-year variance and Mother Nature is not answering my emails... Meanwhile, my hickory tree soldiers on regardless and produces beau coup nuts every year.

There are 19 species of oak tree in Florida, often inaccurately identified by the local population.  If anybody cares, this pdf was prepared to help forestry students identify them.
http://ufdcimages.uflib.ufl.edu/IR/00/00/18/06/00001/FR00400.pdf

My place has many oaks. About 20' from my TT is a huge black oak. When the time is right, that bad boy drops acorns the size of nickels!
I watched one bounce off the top of the DW's head one year while sitting around the campfire pit reading the morning paper over a cup of coffee. She screamed and I couldn't stop laughing.

It does seem the acorn drop depends on whether the trees are under stress or not. Could also be a cyclical thing. Have also read that it may be a way of survival when oaks go into extreme stress mode (fire, drought, etc.).

Well I am finally getting acorns after a year and a half. I hear about a dozen drop every day but they are pretty small this year and they are not bothering me in the least. Here is a shot out my front door. I used my leaf blower to clean the patio off a week ago so this a weeks worth of acorns. Not really a problem so far.

Attachments

• Acorns.jpg
    Acorns.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 38
I parked under an oak tree two weeks ago and the first breeze about made my wife jump out of her skin. Acorns hitting the roof was bad but when they hit the fan cover it sounded like breaking glass. Driving home made all kinds of noise as they rolled around. Be glad they aren't black walnuts.
Good luck

I have two, not one but two mature oak trees that overhang our roof. You can hear the nuts through R40 insulation.

My recommendation, take up snoring, or find another site.

But if you must stay at that site, invest in a radio and get used to sleeping with it on... Local noise helps drown out distance noises. But seriously, snoring works the best.

Hanr3 said:
I have two, not one but two mature oak trees that overhang our roof. You can hear the nuts through R40 insulation.

My recommendation, take up snoring, or find another site.

But if you must stay at that site, invest in a radio and get used to sleeping with it on... Local noise helps drown out distance noises. But seriously, snoring works the best.
I waited four years for this site to open up and I am staying here till I die. I love the site. One of the reasons I love the site is the fact it has several very large live oak trees that provide a lot of shade on the site. I am not having an issue with the noise from the acorns. I was told it will be a problem by the previous owner of this site but it has not been a problem at all.

Our RV sites at Old Faithful had huge pine trees, and the squirrels would drop the pine cones on the roof.  Once the pinecones mature and open, they are a bit softer, but before that they are like barbed rocks.  Foor Koda thought we were being bombed and would get under the driver seat to take cover.  Jim and Pat Dick can testify to this, and moe recently, Gougie Brown, who put up quite a fight with the critters. 

Anyway, short of an enclosure, getting used to it is the only defenAcorns have to be easier than these pinecones, (golf ball and bigger sized)se.

PancakeBill said:
Anyway, short of an enclosure, getting used to it is the only defense. Acorns have to be easier than these pine cones, (golf ball and bigger sized).
I have already gotten used to it. They just aren't that loud.

PancakeBill said:
Jim and Pat Dick can testify to this, and moe recently, Gougie Brown, who put up quite a fight with the critters. 

Gouge-y was probably correct that Sunday morning!! It's what I would've done to the critter's eyes if I'd caught him!! ??

We have the cutest little broom we store in our outside compartment to clean off the slide before heading out. Wife holds the later and I try to get everything off. Not a perfect plan but so much better than pulling all of that junk inside!

Headphones and lots of your favorite music.  I have found peace and joy in YouTube.  In my case, I search for psychedelic music, find some good "Mixes", and relax on my sofa.  It has made Sunday, Monday, and Thursday night football a joy to watch after I mute the TV!

By the way, we have a couple of oak trees that drop their nuts in my pool.  It is actually kinda neat listening to the "ploink" of the nuts as they hit the water.  But they are a pain to clean out.

Well the acorns are falling this year. There are dozens on my front porch right now. But so far they are not really bothering me. They don't fall very often and they are not very loud so it is not much of a problem.

SeilerBird said:
Well the acorns are falling this year. There are dozens on my front porch right now. But so far they are not really bothering me. They don't fall very often and they are not very loud so it is not much of a problem.

Watch those acorns, you'll break a hip. 
Years ago when we lived in Phoenix, we had several Chinaberry trees in the yard.  These trees have marble sized berrys that become hard as rocks and drop to the ground.  Had to keep the sidewalks swept or it was like an old Laurel and Hardy movie with one foot sliding south and the other sliding north as you tried to walk.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom