How important is age of tow truck?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnh10

Fort Pierce, FL (winter) - Franklin, NH (summer)
Hello, we're looking for a 1 ton truck to tow a 5th wheeler (also to be purchased).

How do experienced RVers feel about getting a newish truck (~2015) vs an older truck (~2005) at half the price?

It would only be used to pull the 5th wheeler, perhaps 6-10 times a year.

We bought used (2004 purchased in 2010) and it was a smart choice. Paid $18K for a 78,000 mile vehicle that was $42K when new, and it's now probably worth $9K with 148,000 miles on it. We've had to do a little work that we MIGHT not have had to do if we'd bought new (starter, A/C evac line, rear quarter window, shocks, tuneup), but all in all it's been less than $3,000 so far.
I've set aside $10K for an eventual engine/transmission overhaul and some cosmetic restoration, but it's showing no signs of needing those yet.
One of the main reasons it's worked for us is that it's not a daily driver, and spends a lot of the time parked.
Other savings beyond the purchase price:
  • Having the extra $24,000 that I might have paid for a new one still in savings and earning a return rather than depreciating.
  • Lower insurance rates on the older vehicle.

Our experience is similar. We bought a 2005 in 2010 for $15,000 and have been happy with it. I had to put tires on it right away, found a lightly used set for half the price of new. Other than brakes and front end work we have only had to replace the a/c clutch. It is a plain build 2wd, a few more creature comforts would be nice but not at the prices we were seeing. It's now twelve years old, mileage is getting up there but it doesn't owe us anything and should be the last truck we will buy.

My 1 ton is a 2011, got last year. I paid more than half off new price. Heckuva deal on what I got. In comparison to my truck, I looked at other trucks with 2x the miles, older, less options and $10,000 more. I did spend $1200 for BFG Ko2 A/T since they needed new tires...and I live in upstate NY.

There are good deals to be had for much older trucks, but for the convenience of not having to fix a bunch of stuff just to feel road ready  etc you may look at going with only a few years older in a basic work truck package. Just bought a 2015 with 77k and saved 32k off the original msrp. It's also my daily driver so that's where our situation is a little different but it still has a portion of the original power train warranty on it and I didn't have to do a thing to it other than a basic inspection which got the green light. Eventually when it retires to towing only duty in a couple years  I'll still have a fairly new vehicle.

Whatever you get make sure it's comfortable. If you're towing long distances you don't want to be in an uncomfortable drivers seat for multiple hours wishing you had the comforts of your daily driver. Just food for thought  :D

If the mileage and condition were the same, why care about age? If not the same, then the choice should be made on the difference in condition, both mechanical and cosmetic. Obviously you want a reliable & comfortable vehicle for travel. Plus, styling may differ with age and that may be a personal factor as well.

So in broad terms I would lean toward newer, but not necessarily in the less-than-two-years-old category. With reasonable care, modern vehicles will deliver 100k of carefree miles and another 100k of just moderate repairs.

All depends on how the vehicle was treated and the location.  Up north a 10-12 YO truck that has been run in winter is beginning to show its age.  Not just appearance, but the salt works at everything.  Down south it's barely broke in.

I don't buy new.  Even just a few years old can save a lot of cash. Sure I may have to put a few bucks into it, but the fear a lot of people have with a vehicle that is off warranty always makes me laugh.  The warranty typically gets the bugs out, and not much else.

Best option I have is heated/cooled seats. As stated, if traveling long distance, youll want something comfy. Heated seats in winter and cooled seating in July is a plus!

Good duallies will still fetch nearly all of their original price even after 10 years.  Heck, my 39K mile 2007 Ram dually is still worth 30,000 dollars on the open market.  Some like the Ford 6.0L diesels can be had for a song.  But the motor is basically garbage, so you get what you pay for.  Decent Ram Cummins always command a premium because there so stout.  GMs, well, people think their worth gold, but in truth their not as strong as people think.  Just not as many of them as tow vehicles, and those that are are in the 2500 class.

4 years ago I bought a used 2006 Dodge 2500Deisel for 21$K, I have put probably 3K in it for upgrades and repairs, it had 127K miles and now has 190K, it has been great tow vehicle and it is still close to what I paid in Value, true cost is the difference in what you pay and what you sell it for.

If the 2005 is a Dodge or Chevy, you shouldn't have any issues. If it is a Ford with the 6.0 liter engine, run as fast and as far away from it as you can. The 2003.5-2007 6.0 Powerstroke can be made reliable...for about $5,000 worth of parts and labor.

Thanks for all the responses! I am definitely leaning towards used truck/5th wheeler here in FL but this will be my first of each.
Based on the responses I will be looking for roughly ~2008-2012 used truck that's comfortable, perhaps around $25k.
It won't be my daily driver so it doesn't need to have everything, but am looking for a long bed/diesel.

If your tow vehicle is not going to be your daily driver.. Why not go Class A motor home and tow a "Daily Driver" car?

Age is not important..  Condition is.. I"ve seen some vintage Trucks that are better than most more modern trucks on the road..

When it comes to Pick Ups.. I actually like the more vintage jobs.. But you may need to use both feet to drive if they are vintage enough. (I still remember how to do that).

I was taking a load to the dump today and spotted a 1955 Ford flatbed set up and pulling about a 35' 5er.  Immediately brought this thread to mind.  Wish I would have had my phone.

That would have been fun to see. 8) I hope he upgraded the power train, that old Y-block would have been pretty slow.

Spotted it again, and had my phone.  Truck isn't smoking, it's just a reflection off my windshield.

Attachments

• 2017-02-27_06.51.52[1].jpg
    2017-02-27_06.51.52[1].jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 52
It really depends on what creature comforts you want.  The new 2017 F350 offers blind side warning, camera for the back of the camper, lights in the bed, and a host of other things not even available in 2013 when my (used to me) truck was built.  DW had to have dual zone temp control, so we got a Lariat.  If you are happy without much gingerbread, a 15 year old, 50K farm truck could be your ideal truck.

Low miles older trucks are out there, but they require time and research to find.  You may need to travel a bit to get to it as well.

HAPPY HUNTING!

Our set up has worked very well. Purchased our TV from a couple when they were finished RVing that had it specifically speced for their FW. All set up and very comfortable. Had 70,000 miles on the clock when we purchased in 2014. It now has 82,000. Well maintained. Has never been in snow/salt. Just might wear it out before it can rust out!

Update: I will be buying a 2006 Ford 350 Lariat diesel longbed dually with 98k miles for $16.5k!
It's a Florida truck, and although someone warned against Ford, that seems to be 99% of the superduties down here.
It also had the underbed gooseneck hitch so I think the next step is to get a 5th wheel adapter.

Attachments

• DSC00716 - Copy.JPG
    DSC00716 - Copy.JPG
    261.2 KB · Views: 23

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom