Merritt Island field trip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeilerBird

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPKJwSC8aVSQc99a73uTjlCQkfTecXKjmLchr9U7OuY7kOji5VMQg174quAq1wbMQ?key=Q1ZUZkVQSFRGMEdVY013R2lUN2didXV3ZThQQk9n

I went on a field trip with the Space Coast Audubon Club to Merritt Island Wildlife Reserve last weekend. Had a blast. 64 species in three hours. I had to use my bridge phone. It felt weird using a normal camera for a change. But my cell phone would not have cut it. Most of my shots were with the 50x tele completely extended. The birds there are shy. I was amazed at how good the birders are in this club, they sure knew the species and where to find them.

Viera Wetlands in Melbourne well worth a visit too.

I took my RV out there last winter and parked in the wetlands then hiked around, came back for lunch, hiked some more. Most folks drive through with 3 foot extensions on their cameras.

Beautiful place.

Lots of critters.

Attachments

• DSCF2171_Picture.JPG
    DSCF2171_Picture.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCF2293a_Picture.jpg
    DSCF2293a_Picture.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 19
You have some really great pictures there.  I love the one of the eagle...looks like he's trying to hide from you.

Great job and thanks for sharing ! ! !

SeilerBird said:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPKJwSC8aVSQc99a73uTjlCQkfTecXKjmLchr9U7OuY7kOji5VMQg174quAq1wbMQ?key=Q1ZUZkVQSFRGMEdVY013R2lUN2didXV3ZThQQk9n

I went on a field trip with the Space Coast Audubon Club to Merritt Island Wildlife Reserve last weekend. Had a blast. 64 species in three hours. I had to use my bridge phone. It felt weird using a normal camera for a change. But my cell phone would not have cut it. Most of my shots were with the 50x tele completely extended. The birds there are shy. I was amazed at how good the birders are in this club, they sure knew the species and where to find them.

So you were the guy with the camera blocking the dadgummed road and causing a monumental traffic jam. :)

MN Blue Skies said:
Tom, what camera and what lens did you use? Thanks
That is my Fuji S1 bridge camera with a 50x lens. Almost ever shot I had the lens extended to 50x since the critters were all very shy.

One of my favorite getaways is to spend a few hours on Black Point Wildlife Drive, especially early on a weekday morning in the Winter when it's most deserted.

PopPop51 said:
One of my favorite getaways is to spend a few hours on Black Point Wildlife Drive, especially early on a weekday morning in the Winter when it's most deserted.
For those who don't live here I should point out that the Black Point Wildlife Drive is where I took all these photos.

Nice as usual, Tom.  I didn't expect to see a cactus (at least that's what it looks like to me).  What is that critter in the next-to-last photo before the alligator?  Interesting looking.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
Nice as usual, Tom.  I didn't expect to see a cactus (at least that's what it looks like to me).  What is that critter in the next-to-last photo before the alligator?  Interesting looking.
The 'cactus' is actually a Purple Thistle which is a weed. I always find birds feeding on thistles, especially hummingbirds. The strange critter is either called a wild hog, a wild boar, a wild pig or a feral pig. They are common in Florida and the hunters love going after them since they are pretty fat and slow. There was a whole family there mom and baby in the photo and dad and baby number two just out of the range of the photo.

DearMissMermaid said:
Viera Wetlands in Melbourne well worth a visit too.

I took my RV out there last winter and parked in the wetlands then hiked around, came back for lunch, hiked some more. Most folks drive through with 3 foot extensions on their cameras.

Beautiful place.

Lots of critters.

Love bird photos

RV_Fan86 said:
Love bird photos

So do I. I have a life list of bird species in photos that now has 269 different species:

https://goo.gl/photos/xuP9zPD2KP2swN1g8

I used to work as a Condor photographer at the Grand Canyon and I have a zillion California Condor photos:

https://goo.gl/photos/HqJhuo6Sz64LDLrBA

Back
Top Bottom