onan generator issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boogiebago

my onan mark 3 was recently restored in our 1985 31 foot cheiftian.. new carb. new starter full overhaul. ran great for one month. then it stopped. the ppl that did the work say it might be water in the main tank. but the 454 runs without any issues on the main . they say it is possible that the carb. on the generator is more sensitive to the water issue than the 454. i say bullshit. the gas is new the fuel filter is new everything is new. the carb kit came from cummings and was ordered from ppl. now....i could be wrong. but wat do you guys think.  cause there is spark there is fuel to the carb and batt is strong.  are these carbs so sensitive to the littlest thing that we have to keep screwing with them. it ran like a top wen they put it in last month. so i don't get it. please help!  thanks J star

Keep in mind that the fuel pick up in the gas tank only extends 3/4's of the way down the tank to keep from pulling fuel from the bottom 1/4 of the tank.  Water is heavier than gas so the water would be at the bottom of the tank.  So there is no way water should ever be able to be pulled from the gas tank to the generator. 

It seems doubtful that it is water, but that's just one of several things that could go wrong. I wouldn't fixate on just one potential cause.

You didn't give any details, but I'm guessing it cranks but doesn't start?  Gotta get down to basics: air, fuel & spark. One of those three is missing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dlord
Back
Top Bottom