R-Pod / Winnie Drop owners...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jesseo715

For my first TT, I have my choice narrowed down to these two little beauties: Winnie Drop 170K or R-Pod 176.  The DW and I will hopefully be walking through some this weekend, though not necessarily the exact floor plan we want.  I would love to hear from owners of either trailer.  What do you love?  What bothers you?  What little quirks have you noticed?  What modifications have you made?  What feature couldn't you live without?  What feature could you live without? What tips/tricks have you discovered?

I would greatly appreciate any input. 

The questions you ask are very important PERSONAL choices.  You may not like or need what I want.

Go look at the units, as you have planned.  Leave the check book at home.  Spend significant time in each, with a pad and pencil to make notes.  Are there comfortable seating locations for reading or watching TV?  Do you feel cramped or closed in sitting there? Is it convenient to get in and out of bed?  Do you want or need a walk around bed?  Is the bathroom / shower / toilet area large enough?  How about kitchen counter space for expected use?  Refrigerator size?  Table size?  Storage space?  If we went camping and it rained all weekend and we were stuck in here, could we still be happy?

The most important feature is a floor plan YOU are excited about.  If you settle for an OK floor plan, you will never really love the camper. I will likely never be in your camper, so I do not get a vote.

Enjoy the search.  Come back from shopping with even more questions.
If you do not know more about the camper than the salesman, you are not prepared to buy.  Thankfully, you are well on your way.

As stated, these questions are only you can answer. If you dont absolutely love the floor plan, you may end up hating it, in time. Make sure its what you want..and dont listen to the salesman.

I get all of that, but I'm sure current owners have things they've discovered well after their original walk-through.  We have already narrowed down the floor plan.  I'm just looking for insight from current owners.

Dying to know what current owners think. I love the look and ease of the year drop but I don't know anyone that has one.

jesseo715 said:
I get all of that, but I'm sure current owners have things they've discovered well after their original walk-through.  We have already narrowed down the floor plan.  I'm just looking for insight from current owners.
Did you buy something yet?

Bought, yes.  Received... no.  We ordered on March 20th and it's taking forever to get our trailer.  I'm quite upset.

Hi everyone! This seems to be the freshest Winnie Drop thread I can find. I'm a newbie to trailers. Just bought the WD170S and attached it to my Kia Sorento (290HP, 258LbFt) with an E2 WD hitch. Worked awesome! Then, in less than a month of that we decided to trade the Sorento for an F150 (Yes, I know that's fast even for diehard toy persons). Problem is, when I attached the E2 WD hitch the F150 with a drop shank, I was left with only 5" of ground clearance below the shank. After much discussion, I probably can cut off an inch or so of the shank to get more room. The WD170S must be nose down though because of the waste pipe in the rear. So, questions.....
[list type=decimal]
[*]Anyone towing without a WD hitch?
[*]Anyone towing a WD with a high truck like an F150?
[*]Anyone lifted their WD to solve the problem?
[*]Anyone have low clearance like the 5" at the shank?
[/list]

I'd love some help with this.
Thanks,
Jim

I tow our Winnie Drop with a 2016 Nissan Frontier 4x4 crew cab. I dot not use a WD hitch. I use the stock hitch that came with the truck. I do use one of the balls you ratchet up and down depending on what you are towing. I have plenty of ground clearance and the Drop rides level.

You probably don't need WD with the truck suspension and the light tongue weight on that trailer. Any F150 should easily carry the [roughly] 400 lb tongue of a Drop 170.

But, that doesn't appear to be a factor in the clearance problem to described. If you need to have the Winnie nose-down, you still need a drop type ball mount, right?  Maybe you can get one a little less bulky than the WD ball mount, though.

If the waste drain is in the rear, why tow nose down? I am learning TTs too, so educate me?

I would think level is best for towing.

If you don't need a WD hitch (and I agree that with truck you likely don't ) then either get a drop down of the right drop or one of the adjustable ones?

The waste drain on our Winnie Drop is in the rear and we tow level or as level as I can get it. Not sure why you would have to tow nose down.

I tow level.  We just got back from Yellowstone & Glacier, towed on some rough mountain roads.  I must admit I was skeptical, but we've had no clearance issues with the waste drain. 

howdy, all...new user here on the rvforum. used to belong to pop up forums, but dark side now so here I am :)

at first we wanted a teardrop, seemed like rpod had the market. then we looked at a winnie drop 170k - the outside kitchen and better fit and finish sold us on winnebago. the cost was not much higher for better quality slides, interior trim, drawers, and so many more details I really cant name, but they were everywhere, the cost for the winnie was not much more. easy decision. we had a forest river mac pop up for years, never did like the constant issues I had to keep up with. saw many of the same things (ok, ill name more. FR uses staples, the door doesnt have the limiter, the wood is paper covered, not solid) this winnie is so much better in the million tiny details. not even close. but nothing is perfect, sure had a couple issues with the winnie as well! happy camping.

~nrg

We purchased our Winnie Drop in Feb of 2016 and it has leaked from day one. We've taken it to the dealer, the factory, another dealer and now it is at an RV repair shop. Winnebago has not been very helpful.

Update: We bought our Winnie Drop (they're now called Minnie Drop) 170K in March, finally took delivery in July, then took it from Wisconsin to Yellowstone NP & Glacier NP. We've also done a few local trips, including up the North Shore of Lake Superior. We've had zero issues with the trailer, apart from a piece of trim around the door coming loose on the inside of the trailer. Two staples took care of that. We used the outdoor kitchen almost exclusively. I think we only had to cook indoors once out of necessity due to rain. I found that there are gaps in the construction under the rear bunks and that if you have the rear kitchen open, it can let in flies and other bothersome critters. I'll fill those in with boards easily enough this spring.

For now, "Rosie" is in storage after a great first summer. The sewer drain pipe still worries me a bit, but we haven't had any issues yet. The later 2017 models now come with a standard 3" additional lift. We may have it done later on.

9/10, would buy again.

We purchased a 2018 Minnie Drop 1790 a few months and and have taken it camping a few times and it works great.  I was wondering if anyone has run across a good winter storage cover for it?  I have searched and have really not found anything.  I have seen a few comments stating that the RPod covers don't fit and the generic covers are too baggy.  Anyone seen any covers specific for the Drop?  Or even better, specific to a 1790 Drop?

Thanks in advance!

the winnie drop 170k...still called winnie drop in late 2017 btw..... is our 6th camper. 3 pups and 3 tt's and easily our favorite. no major quality issues. the rear kitchen door is too big and heavy for its own good so be careful with it. I demanded a new one as ours had a bit of a bow in the center. open it carefully. also, build yourself a drain for that sink. buy a drain...funnel...lenght of hose....into a bucket. done.

perma pro delux rpod 18.8 fit our 2018 winnie drop 170k PERFECTLY and is of good quality. if you want detail, Ill copy/paste the actual model number for you later, im on a phone now...but I dont use the cover much. what i did do, however, was get a good quality rv wax, and protect it that way, and then get tire covers.

as far as wd hitches. dont want one. too much work for us little tt people. and man, the tongue load DROPS the truck a good 6 inches!!! but I dont worry about it. im under my max tongue, so i trust the manufacturer in their publication of that weight max.

nrg

Back
Top Bottom