Strange Water Heater Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

turkeylady

Hello!  First time posting :) 

I've been trying to trouble-shoot my water heater online, but the symptoms just don't line up with what I read.  I'm full-time living in an '06 Nash 5th wheel, if it's relevant.  My pilots are all electronic on-demand ignition, no continuous pilot lights.  Over the fall my water heater would sometimes go through a series of loud clicking sounds that I'm still not sure what they were- sometimes it would heat, other times it would light up the "reset" bulb, I'd shut it off, wait a bit, turn it back on and it would kick on.  The problem was intermittent.
But it recently stopped working.  I turn it on, you hear the click of the pilot igniting, you hear the heater kick on, you hear the muffled roar of the water heating for 1, 5, or even 30 seconds- then it all just shuts off and the reset light comes on.  It's igniting.  It's starting to heat the water.  It's even managed to heat the water to a measurable degree.  But then it dies out.  Sometime immediately, sometimes after a minute.  What's happening?

Welcome.

I'm not an expert at all - but I'll give you my 2? worth....

I assume you have a propane sniffer that checks for a propane leak before the propane is released.
The sniffer could be going bad.  OR actually detecting a leak and then shutting off the flow of propane.
Also at the propane tank is a valve that is controlled by the sniffer (that allows the propane to flow
out of the tank) and that valve could also be going bad and opening for a short time and then closing.

Are you sure there is a pilot igniting?  I would think there is a glow coil type of ignition and those do go bad, sometimes
intermittently and sometimes just takes longer and longer to ignite until they finally stop working.

Are all the batteries fully charged?
Is the propane tank(s) full?
Is the propane tank on-off valve open completely?

Those would be the first things I would check if in your shoes.

You didn't mention what brand of water heater you have but some of them have a flame sensor that will shut off the flow of propane if a flame is not detected in a certain amount of time.  The detector may simply be dirty and need cleaning off.

ALL RV water heaters have a flame sensor, and if that sensor fails to confirm the flame is burning, the controller immediately shuts the Lp supply off. The igniter is also the sensor. The cause usually is (1) sensor not sufficiently in the flame, (2) corrosion on the wire connection between igniter/sensor and the controller, or (3) faulty sensor.

I'm thinking along the same line as Gary. I've had similar problems with my Atwood in the past. Igniter/sensor malfunction. Being a '06 model, I wouldn't be surprised a bit.
Heck, I even have an almost identical problem with the oven at the homested! Oven works great! Don't want to part with it. But I do have to replace the igniter/sensor every 2-3 years when it starts acting up.

Perhaps knowing the make/model of the water heater can get you some more specific details and answers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom