Cheap Wireless Reverse Camera to Android or Apple phone or tablet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yolo

I have had two diesel pusher class A RV?s.  Both had a reverse camera built into the dash.  Nice for watching the towed vehicle and backing into tight parking places.  I sold our last 40? RV and was done with RVing (I thought).

I later bought a small (23?) class C RV.  No frills and no reverse camera.  I was searching for a wired or wireless reverse camera and came up with a 903W WiFi Car Camera transmitter and a video camera.  The system looked good for my application.  You can buy these on eBay or Amazon for $55 or less depending if you want it shipped from the US or China, Malaysia.  I SPENT $52 for both with shipping. The unit can transmit via its own WiFi transmitter to an Android smart phone or tablet (iPhone or iPad for you Apple users).

I have a couple of phones and three tablets and it works with all of them.  I chose to use a spare Samsung Tab 3.  My mounting was to use the useless rearview mirror inside the class C.  I put heavy duty Extreme Velcro hook on the mirror face and the loop on the back of the tablet.  They just stick together.  Adjusting the angle is done by moving the mirror as you normally would.

My camera for the reverse camera is mounted on the inside of the rear window with good ole duct tape.  I can mount on the outside by drilling one 5/16? hold from an inside cabinet to the outside and mount it on the back of the RV.  So far this is working on the inside and I don?t see a reason to change it.

I also am using CaroO driving recorder (dash camera) with OBD-II read outs.  I have ordered a $2.72 bluetooth OBD-II dongle and haven?t received it yet (3 to 4 weeks from China).  I just have to leave the tablet sticking out on one side to allow the lens to see down the road.  Works great too.  CaroO Free from the Play Store works and supposedly quits working after 100 uses.  You can delete the old and download a new one or go to the Pro version that cost $4 or so.

If anyone wants to use this method you need to download the Wifi AV app from a guy who modified the original that is on Google Play store.  I put the file on my server and you can download from there? http://wbell.us/luzheng.cam.wifiavin2.apk  The original was programmed by the guy who designed the hardware and he put the wrong ports for video in that version (maybe they use these ports in whichever Asian country he if from).  The patched version is free also.

You only need to supply 9 to 30 volts to the WiFi unit and it feeds the camera.  I had a lamp in the area so took a feed from there thru a switch so I can turn it off when not using it.

There is a youtube video describing in detail hooking one up in the back of a 5th wheel.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UIG-31UCFU  There are many other youtube videos regarding the 903W WiFi camera system.

Attachments

• Caroo Dash Cam 4.jpg
    Caroo Dash Cam 4.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 903W WiFi Reverse Camera.png
    903W WiFi Reverse Camera.png
    142.1 KB · Views: 29
Back
Top Bottom