electric brake problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diamond007

I have a 2004 Viking pop up. On my last camping trip, I noticed that my trailer brakes kept grabbing after I had let  off of my truck brake pedal when pulling up to a light or stop sign. I'm sure that some of you long timers can help this newbie out on this question. I have a Predator Dx2 controller  in my truck.  Thanks much!!

Had the same problem, had an older controller of undetermined mfg.  Last fall I up graded
to a 

https://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-90195-Electronic-Brake-Control/dp/B000P17NXQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488082432&sr=8-1&keywords=best+trailer+brake+controller

Works great you will not believe the difference.

Hard to say with such little detail. Did the trailer brake just keep on braking after you took your foot off the brake pedal, or did it release and then "grab" again?  The former could be a problem with the trailer brakes themselves, but the latter is probably a controller issue.  And does this happen at every stop, or just once in a while?

You might also want to inspect the breakaway switch on the trailer - if it has corroded or worn it might short and trigger trailer braking intermittently. Not likely, but possible. Usually a failed breakaway just locks the trailer brakes solid.

I wholly agree that a better grade brake controller, e.g. the Tekonsha P-series), would be a big improvement in any case. Highly recommended.

There are several possible causes.. At one end of a piece of wire is the controller I can think of serveral issues including improper mounting.

At the other end are the brake magnets,, NOT much can go wrong with those but they "Grip" the inner face of the brake drum and that can get rusty,,, Parts can break and fall into the assembly causing all sorts of issues.

once bought a "road kill" car (Vehicle left abandoned, known to run but alas there were issues with the brakes) in fact two of 'em.. on one when I pulled the brakes to inspect a spring had broken and was jaming 'em up.... The solution was simply ..replace defective part and adjust.

Back
Top Bottom