Sleeping Bear Dunes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YellowSubmarine

Hi!

I am having such a hard time trying to figure out how to see the Sleeping bear dunes and where to Camp.  We do not tow a car so we need to be able to see the Dune Area by bicycles or within walking distance.

When I google Sleeping Bear Dunes, it shows it is on an island.  Are the sandy shores cool to camp near instead?  Are they large dunes too?

I'm so confused!
Thanks,
Cora

Look at Platte River Campground it is mentioned on the NP website

https://www.nps.gov/slbe/planyourvisit/accessibility.htm

Thank you!  I was looking at that campground.  Do you know if it is within walking distance to a sand dune?  Is there a bike trail nearby?

I'm going to book somewhere else for now, however if anyone can post their reviews of the area on how to get around by a bicycle and get the closest campground to the Sleeping Bear Dunes, we would appreciate it.  We want to go there but we do not tow a car.

Thank you,
Cora

There is a nice new bike path that I believe does go by the campground.  It goes many miles through the dunes area.  It's a long walk from the bottom of the dunes back to lake michigan.  Beautiful views from the top of the dune climb.

YellowSubmarine said:
Thank you!  I was looking at that campground.  Do you know if it is within walking distance to a sand dune?  Is there a bike trail nearby?

Haven't been Cora, just Google it  :D

YellowSubmarine said:

Reviews on Google Maps say there are many trails. The shore of Lake Michigan is 1.5 mile hike, or at the end of the river if you have a kayak or canoe. The beach is wide and sandy there. Not as large as the Dunes Park, but still impressive.

The campground is about 15 miles south of the Sleeping Bear Dunes State Park.

Back
Top Bottom