water pressure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rclark

Hello All, we've just completed our first week long trip (4 days) since buying our 94 Pace Arrow last Oct.

We had a problem with the water pressure getting weak as in down to a dribble after about 25 to 30 seconds!!
It would be normal when first coming on, then would start to slow at about 10 to 15 seconds and down to dribble!!
Pump was coming on as it should and after turning off the water would run maybe 30 to 40 seconds before cutting
back off and then would have pressure again!! The pump would not come on unless we used water!! It is a 2.8 gal.
per minute pump, ShurFlo...
Does anyone have any suggestions for me ???

It was quite a pain getting a shower!!  :mad:
But we managed and had a great time otherwise! :)

Thanks Randy

It is typical that the pump will only run when you turn the water on.  When you open the valve the pressure is relieved in the system and that causes the pump to run.  (Usually it will continue to run for a few seconds after you close the valve to reestablish the pressure.)

If you have a filtration system in your unit check it for cleanliness.  It is also possible that the pump just isn't up to the task anymore (could it be the original 1994 pump? ::))  I assume that this happens regardless of which valve you open (kitchen, or shower, or basin). 

Just a guess on my part, but I suspect the pump is tired.  If it is you can get one from camping world for under $100 and they are not difficult to install.

Good Luck!

Hello John, thanks for the reply, it looks as though the pump is farely new !! and yes it does do it at all outlets!

Randy

On the inlet side of the pump there will likely be a screen inside a clear plastic cover. Try removing the cover and checking if the screen is blocked. That could reduce water flow significantly.

In addition to the pump inlet screen, some Fresh water tanks have a outlet screen as well (mine does) they don't tell you that anywhere that I can recall in any of the manuals,    I did find it on my own.

To access the outlet screen (if any) remove the fitting from the tank.  NOTE: This is the first rig I have had with an outlet screen

Good catch John, thanks. The fresh water tanks on many boats have such screens and I should have thought of that  :-[

I agree - this is almost certainly a problem with the pump inlet. The pump is not able to suck water in fast enough to deliver it to your faucets for more than a few moments. Then it recovers as water seeps in while the faucet is shut off.  Could possible be a bad pump diagphragm, but I would bet ona  clogged pump intake.

Tom said:
Good catch John, thanks. The fresh water tanks on many boats have such screens and I should have thought of that  :-[

Thanks Tom,,, Damon should have mentioned it in the owner's manuals too,  But they did not.  I found it because I was draining the tank and there is a 2nd outlet on the tank which was plugged,  I figured if I pulled that plug and replaced it with a piece of 1/2 inch pipe (to get the water out of the compartment) it woud drain faster.. When I pulled the plug the strainer behind it came out.

Imagine my surprise, they even had a strainer in the dummy outlet!!!!

I've since done a few things with that drain to improve drainage at the cost of speed, but that is another topic.

Thanks everyone for the replies! It will probably be Sat. till I can check it but will certainly let you know my findings!!

Randy

I know this is a bit late, but wanted to let you know!!

It was the screen in the inlet side of pump, had what looked like calcium buildup on it!!
Took it apart cleaned it all up and bingo!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks John, John, Tom and Gary!!!!!!!!!

Randy

Thanks for the feedback Randy. Glad you got the problem resolved.

I remember a fellow that had a similar problem and it was actually his in line filter that someone had install immediately after the pump and it was plugged up  Changed his filter and all was good.

It sounds like there's no air getting into the closed water tank.  Run the pump and when it reduces to a dribble, have someone open the water tank fill inlet outside.  The problem may disappear. If it cures it, then try to find out why air isn't getting into your tank as the water is pumped out. You might have a sticky air valve somewhere. Just an educated guess.

Back
Top Bottom