EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Wash & Dry  (Read 2058 times)

markbarendt

Wash & Dry
« on: February 26, 2017, 10:39:04 PM »
So this last week we took delivery of this http://www.haieramerica.com/product/hlc1700axw combo unit.

I have to say I'm totally satisfied.

Have been using the quick wash and dry so far, set and forget. Quiet too.

Arch Hoagland

• ---
  • Clovis CA
Re: Wash & Dry
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 11:01:08 PM »
How much can you wash at one time? I've heard you can't get too much in RV washers.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36 DBD
W22, 8.1 gas,  Allison 1000 Transmission
7.1 MPG over 80,000 miles

2000 Lexus RX300, 4020lb
U.S. Gear Braking System

markbarendt

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 06:50:38 AM »
We are still learning on it in a practical sense.

Roughly half full is what I shoot for because I am using it to dry, wash only you can do more.

This is easily keeping up with the wife and I with about 4-5 loads a week.

markbarendt

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 07:08:29 AM »
One thing I will say is that true to what I'd heard before buying a combo, the clothes do come out a bit more wrinkled than a normal dryer. Given the context the machine needs to live in, this is not an issue for me.

Drifterrider

• ---
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 07:24:40 AM »
That looks like it would be perfect for socks, underwear and shirts.  How much water per load does it use?

markbarendt

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 09:31:32 AM »
That looks like it would be perfect for socks, underwear and shirts.  How much water per load does it use?
Specifically, I don't know but...

My wife and I did roughly 6-8 loads in the last 8 days since we got our water meter and our measured water usage for the whole 'house' including all our showers etcetera, was right at 300.

As a comparison running our stick built home in Colorado with normal washer our usage was closer to 500 weekly. That situation included an automatic dishwasher though too so YMMV.

---------------

With regard to the wrinkle issue we have gotten a bit creative and it's worked out really well.

We set the dry cycle to 'less', which turns out to be mostly dry, then for example, I hang my nice work shirts and mist them with a spray bottle, smooth them by hand and hang them in the bedroom or main cabin, whichever is not being used and put them away later.

We are truly happy with the unit.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 09:35:10 AM by markbarendt »

spacenorman

• ---
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 03:00:48 PM »
According to the documentation from our Splendide 2100XC unit - wash cycles go thru between 7 and 18 gallons.   I'm going to guess the OP's unit is probably somewhere in that vicinity as well.
The Spacenorman
2012 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 43 DFT
2012 Jeep Liberty
http://www.penquinhead.com/

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 05:38:07 PM »
We have a Splendide.  When I want to avoid wrinkling I shake everything out at the end of the wash cycle.  Sometimes I divide one wash load into two dry loads, but that depends on how big it is.  Then I start the dry cycle but stop it at about 15 minutes, take the items out that are damp, and then hang them to finish drying.  They come out looking pretty good with relatively few wrinkles.

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

Drifterrider

• ---
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 06:12:34 AM »
Regarding wrinkling:  Am I the only guy on earth with an iron (and I'm not afraid to use it either)?

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 06:50:31 AM »
When we had a Splendide combo previously, we found that folding the laundry in between the wash and dry cycles worked pretty well for minimizing wrinkling. And yes, Drifter, we do have an iron on board that we both know how to use when needed. We just prefer not to need it now that our working days are well behind us.  ;)
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

DearMissMermaid

• ---
  • Read my mis-adventures at DearMissMermaid.Com
    • DearMissMermaid.Com
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 09:15:55 AM »
I have the 1 cubic foot stainless steel  Haier top loading compact washer (no dryer).

It weighs 50 pounds and UPS brought it to my door in the campground.  ;D

It was $250 when I bought it, price hasn't changed much.

I've been using it for 7 years to do anything and everything that will fit in it, including the dog's bed and washable throw rugs.

It is sturdy and cleans beautifully with about 15 different settings. Plus it comes with quick-connect for bath or kitchen sink if you don't have  built-in hookups.

I hang dry everything.

If my RV were on fire, I would grab the washer and run!  ;D

I hope your Haier combo is as awesome and tough as my Haier washer.

For what it's worth, I use a Downy ball in mine, but I fill it 3/4's full with plain vinegar. This helps keep the hard water from messing with the plumbing and also softens the clothes without perfume. 

I give each laundry piece a good hard shake when it comes out, then hang dry. Stuff dries quickly except for my oh so thick and wonderful bath sheet.  ::)

I bought mine at Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=as_li_ss_tl?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=haier+portable+washer&sprefix=haier+,aps,282&crid=SDQ37LU6ACH&linkCode=ll2&tag=recreationalvehicles-20&linkId=69774ddd44e369da39f6274f6c9c0a71
http://DearMissMermaid.Com

Living, working. playing  in a Class C, 1994 Tioga Montara, 28'

Pack half the stuff and twice the cash.
http://dearmissmermaid.blogspot.com/

bghouse

• ---
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2017, 12:36:55 PM »

I hang dry everything.

If my RV were on fire, I would grab the washer and run!  ;D

I hope your Haier combo is as awesome and tough as my Haier washer.

For what it's worth, I use a Downy ball in mine, but I fill it 3/4's full with plain vinegar. This helps keep the hard water from messing with the plumbing and also softens the clothes without perfume. 

Do you find you need a dehumidifier in your rig with all the clothes hanging wet? 

I was in an apartment with no washer dryer and had this Panda unit that had a spinner also.  I never bothered to hook it up, just use the shower head extension to fill it up manually.  Wondering if I could do the same with the Haier?
-------------
Barbara
current location:  Baja California, Mexico
RV status: Still trying to launch!

Triple Slide Jayco

• ---
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2017, 01:39:44 PM »
So this last week we took delivery of this http://www.haieramerica.com/product/hlc1700axw combo unit.

I have to say I'm totally satisfied.

Have been using the quick wash and dry so far, set and forget. Quiet too.

How much is this bad boy.?
2016 Jayco TT Triple slide 33RBTS
2016 Chevy Tahoe

jmarxen

• ---
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2017, 09:16:26 PM »
Looking the combo up on the internet, I see prices are between $899 (Amazon) and $1,119.

Jim & Nancy
NewMar Mountain Air
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 09:18:09 PM by jmarxen »

Triple Slide Jayco

• ---
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2017, 05:55:09 AM »
I went online after reading this post and picked one up from Amazon for 99.00, it has wash and spin dry, no heat. I wasn't in the market, but this post got me thinking. We are weekend TT campers, and hauling dirty beach towels and t shirts back and forth is a pain. No longer.!
2016 Chevy Tahoe

sailberg

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2017, 12:37:23 PM »
Where do you put it? Outside? Where does the rinse water drain?

Triple Slide Jayco

• ---
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2017, 12:39:54 PM »
Where do you put it? Outside? Where does the rinse water drain?

In my bathroom and it drains anywhere I want it to. The shower is perfect.

And im sure it would/could work outside as well. Just dump some water in it to start it and let it do the rest.
2016 Chevy Tahoe

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2017, 12:50:54 PM »
I went online after reading this post and picked one up from Amazon for 99.00, it has wash and spin dry, no heat. I wasn't in the market, but this post got me thinking. We are weekend TT campers, and hauling dirty beach towels and t shirts back and forth is a pain. No longer.!

Can you provide a link to what you bought from Amazon?
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

Dara

• ---
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2017, 01:12:43 PM »
I have a similar unit in my home.  it takes a LOOONG time to do one load, but i still love it.  it's just me. 

Tips: 1- don't overload it. do smaller loads/smaller items. 2- i find that if you do a wash cycle first, then remove items that can air dry, do it. then put some dryer sheets in and run the drain cycle and dry cycle.  3- always clean out the rubber "lint" trap before every wash/dry.
Travel Adventurer, Motorcycle Enthusiast, Vegan Cat lover and KW agent
2012 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew 3.5L Ecoboost
2002 Honda CBR600F4i

Triple Slide Jayco

• ---
2016 Chevy Tahoe

DearMissMermaid

• ---
  • Read my mis-adventures at DearMissMermaid.Com
    • DearMissMermaid.Com
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2017, 05:36:57 AM »
Do you find you need a dehumidifier in your rig with all the clothes hanging wet? 

I was in an apartment with no washer dryer and had this Panda unit that had a spinner also.  I never bothered to hook it up, just use the shower head extension to fill it up manually.  Wondering if I could do the same with the Haier?

About the dehumidifier...
Mostly I hang dry off a rack I built that hangs off my ladder. It's a piece of metal with holes drilled to hold hangers. I attach clothes and towels etc to hangers then hang in holes on my rack out back outside. When hanging inside, I haven't had an issue with humidity, but I have loads of windows and often have them all open and a fan going cause I love fresh air and airing out the rig.

In the winter, my heat dries out the place, so the clothes hang drying inside is sort of a welcome relief. The spinner in my machine gets them pretty wrung out, so nothing is really that wet. If I am hang drying, I give each piece a good shake out before hanging up, this helps it dry quicker.

Well you are going to be pretty busy trying to fill it on your own (without the quick connect fill). You still have to drain it, my drain fits down the bathroom sink, so it drains that way and quick connects to the bathroom sink faucet. But if you fill by hand, you have to fill to wash then fill the rinse. The quick connect will do that for you, plus it knows when to stop so it doesn't overfill based on the size and weight of clothes inside.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 05:59:37 AM by DearMissMermaid »
http://DearMissMermaid.Com

Living, working. playing  in a Class C, 1994 Tioga Montara, 28'

Pack half the stuff and twice the cash.
http://dearmissmermaid.blogspot.com/

Hosted by Over The Network