More Ransomware!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DearMissMermaid

I meant to type paypal.com but I messed up and typed paypal and hit enter.

usually I scroll down to the link I want but for some silly reason I hit the "AD" at the top of the search.

That's when the randsom-ware popped up with several windows even though my pop-up blocker is ON.

I managed to snap a screen shot for you to see.

Are these folks buying ads that link to their ransom-ware instead of the site you thought you were going to?

Attachments

• 2017 02 27.jpg
    2017 02 27.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 96
That crap is nasty. 
I don't know if CyberReason's RansomFree would have caught it or not. It was recommended by either PC Magazine or the How TO Geek web site (I don't recall which) and I installed it a few weeks ago. You can read about and download it HERE .  Scroll down close to the bottom of the page for the download.
The home version is free.

Mermaid: sorry for your misfortune : (

People -- purchase a mac. Say what you want about apple but the ease and convenience and longevity of a mac is unparalleled.

I could not even imagine having to deal with virus/malware/ransomeware maintenance on such a constant basis. Not to mention windows assaulting you to update every time you turn the computer on. Less computer maintenance = more time for fun stuff!

Malwarebytes seems to have found some programs that my be related this nightmare.

Seems like I had trouble with "wow" years back.

I am doing the full size pic so you can see most of the details.

Attachments

• 2017 02 27b.jpg
    2017 02 27b.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 36
Just semantics, but what you're seeing is "phishing" - you're sent a link via pop-up window or email (kinda like bait) and if you take the bait the trouble starts.

Your first indication of being hit with true ransomeware will be a pop-up when you start your computer that tells you everything has already been encrypted and you need to send money or you'll never get your files unlocked. The damage has already been done. At that point you have 3 options: 1) try and decrypt it yourself. SOME of the decrypt keys have been found and posted so there is a slight chance you or a qualified shop might be able to do this 2) Pay the ransom. My understanding is that MOST of the time the crooks do reply with the key, but there's no guarantee 3) Format your HDD or buy a new computer and say goodbye to all of your data unless you have a clean backup. I had to do this for a buddy - he chose this route because he had virtually nothing stored on his computer (used a different one) and the computer was old anyway.

A true ransomeware attack is extremely sophisticated, and U.S. hospitals, schools and cities (and even police departments) have paid hundreds of millions of dollars in ransom (collectively) to unlock systems that even the best IT departments could not unlock.

This isn't ransomware.  It's a popup ad baiting you to click on the link. This type of thing has been around a very long time in various forms.  Apparently there is a new variation because it's been coming up a lot lately.  Ignore it, don't ever click on any unsolicited ad, popup or link on the net or e-mail.  Don't click on the ads on web pages...ever, especially the ones that bait with flashy phrases like "What did Trump say now" , or You won't believe this or that......you know the type.  Keep your virus and malware databases current, stay away from suspicious websites and 99.99% chance you won't have to worry about anything. 

When those things POP UP the first thing you do is do not click anything, Kill the computer (Forced shut down) and power back on.. Often that is enough.

I too remember the Apple Commercials where PC got the sniffles, but the MAC did not

Well,, that's true, but where the PC "Catches cold" when the hackers go after the Mac, and they do, it's Pneumonia time..... They get downright nasty.  I've met a few of 'em.

People -- purchase a mac. Say what you want about apple but the ease and convenience and longevity of a mac is unparalleled.

My friend had her Mac computer hacked and they got all her email addresses among other things.  I know because I received one of their fake emails supposedly from her.  Luckily it looked suspicious in MailwasherPro so I did not answer it, but wrote to her separately and she said she had a real mess because of being hacked.  So Apple can be hacked too!

ArdraF

Ardra sounds like they hacked her email account, not her computer.

It's not about which is used the most it's about the Mac OS being far more difficult to write good solid malware code for. I'm not saying it's  impossible. It definitely is and programs are "spotted in the wild" on occasion. I'm saying that I've had my laptop since 2009 and my air since 2014. Both of which were used in public on public wifi, both of which I have downloaded software/textbooks/music to, I've accidently clicked ads before, etc. neither laptop has any form of antivirus software other than whatever comes with Chrome/Firefox. I don't run health reports, I don't do anything. They just exist hassle free.

Google it I'm not the only one wth that opinion, it's a fact that mac users have almost zero problem compared to windows users. Also look at the time comparison is takes to go from one OS to the other compared to windows updates. The info is out there.

Just trying to make everyone's life a little easier  8)

I'm an IT Director with County government, and I can assure everyone that Mac's get malware and viruses, though I can attest that it is not as often as a PC - it's the number out there and how they are targeted. We get a report weekly showing new vulnerabilities from CERT, and new issues for the Mac OS frequently now outnumber the PC. On the last CERT bulletin, there were close to 30 High Priority Vulnerabilities for the Mac OS, Apple Watch, and iPhone. There were nearly 100 Safari and OS issues with Medium Vulnerabilities. The bad guys have started targeting Apple.

My point is to not be lulled into thinking any operating system is safe. Good user practices prevents issues.

Agreed user practice is the first and foremost important thing for protecting your computer and your data. Be wary of everything. That said, make an informed personal decision by looking at pros and cons. I use a mac bc I am not responsible enough nor do I want to spend the time maintaining and managing multiple software programs only to get blue screened anyway. For me thats a pro big enough to outweigh almost any con (not that I really have any). I take my multi device synchronization and backup really serious; and Windows has yet to put anything out there that allows me to seamlessly switch between my phone laptop and tablet yet access all the same info including recently open tabs and shopping carts, while giving me a smooth, beautiful user interface to boot. Mac does that for me.

This conversation could go on forever, to each their own. I will never not advocate for the ease of getting a mac  8)  ;D

Ardra sounds like they hacked her email account, not her computer.

She didn't really say, but from what she said I think it was worse than "just" her email being hacked, like maybe she clicked on something she shouldn't have.

ArdraF

rvannie23 said:

This conversation could go on forever, to each their own. I will never not advocate for the ease of getting a mac  8)  ;D

And some of us avoid Apple because they are so strict on how you are allowed to use your own machine, and what you may install on it. They act as if you've only leased it and they'll want it back in a certain condition. And some of their policies... 'Nuff said.

Randy328 said:
My point is to not be lulled into thinking any operating system is safe. Good user practices prevents issues.
Chrome is about as bulletproof as an OS can be. If you can't run a program you can't get a virus.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom