Coax for Carryout G2 Plus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mothership

Just purchased the Winegard Carryout G2 Plus and wondering if different coax can be used other than what was supplied with the unit.

Thanks!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0ahUKEwjq5NfFlrLSAhXJKGMKHeCyAnMQFgg-MAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.winegard.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fcatalog-sheets%2FWC-1188_LR.pdf&usg=AFQjCNGfxeHdNEzD8Sxx-lMhZWELfS2f1A&sig2=eHyVGYKMTfNuw2Q3ABFlzQ&bvm=bv.148073327,d.cGc

No according to this manual.

"Q. Can I use any coaxial cable with the Winegard G2+?
A: No, you must use the supplied coaxial cable provided to you by Winegard Company."

Just use a quality rg6 coax with good connectors. I have several cables that can be connected together for runs up to 80'

whiteva said:
Just use a quality rg6 coax with good connectors. I have several cables that can be connected together for runs up to 80'

A lot depends on how they designed that coax (and the unit), since power (on the G2) goes over that cable also (the original had a separate power cable). I don't know whether the power is on a separate wire in the cable.

Can different coax be used: YES
Should different coax be used.. In most cases YES..

Logic follows
Most (All) RV's the Park Cable jack runs to multi-function device, one function of which is a SWITCH,  This will either be a box with several switches (Matrix Switch, Box of Many Buttons, BOMB) or a wall plate.. Many call it "The antenna booster"  In most cases that is NOT one of it's functions, but providing power to the booster is (The booster is part of the Antenna itself)

If you have a SENSOR pro.. Well that's the exception, it is a booster.

You must disconnect from this device to use it for SAT (NOTE: the CABLE port on the switch is a good place to feed the TO TV Coax from the Receiver.... if that is there is such a port on the receiver.

Of course the means you need to re-connect it if you are in a park, like the one I'm in, with cable.

Too much work

Plus this is often lowest bidder RG-59..  Very high loss.

Some RVs.. Well Some have a dedicated SAT cable, This cable runs straight from a connector on the outside (or in a compartment) marked "SAT" to either a wall plate with like marking or a cable end hopefully with like marking in the electronics area.   

However again, this cable may be lowest bidder RG-59.. but if you got one, check it out.

You shoudl run QUALITY RG-6 to either a drill your own hole jack or if you wish there are ways to get out into the exterior bays without drilling.. If you do that and can find a nice metal bracket install a Ground Block

When I got MY RV I put in a roof top antenna, and a pair of A/B Switches
A: for the roof top antenna up A-Bove
B: for the ground B-lock which was mounted on the B-Rake B-ell crank B-racket down B-elow under the B-onnet (hood in the US but the real English word works better for this post)

Thanks everybody for the responses.

The reason I asked is I'm using a Directv reciever with DVR and need to use 2 cables from the antenna to the reciever. It's funny that Winegard boasts an antenna that can run 2 recievers or DVR but they don't supply the second cable. I'm using 2 ea. 75ft. Rocketfish RG6 cable with gold connectors with my old 18in. round dish.
For the moment I'm running the cable directly to the reciever through the drivers door. My rig has 1 coax connection in the electrical compartment and I'm sure the internal coax is RG56. I soon hope to add 2 RG6 connections somewhere on the outside.
I eliminated the BOMB a while ago and using just the Directv reciever and a PlayStation 3 for movies.
In a few days I hope to fire up the new G2 and see if it all works.
Thank you for the suggestions and help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom