Cover to keep snow off coach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the info.

Does the floor actually tilt towards the front door?
Is there a drain in the floor anywhere?

I like the mural idea.

Just curious - Do you know why the previous owner sold this Palace?

RedandSilver said:
Thanks for the info.

Does the floor actually tilt towards the front door?
Is there a drain in the floor anywhere?

I like the mural idea.

Just curious - Do you know why the previous owner sold this Palace?

I think that there is a slight slope to the floor.  It is Epoxy and extends about 6 inches up the walls sealing the floor.  There is a floor drain, actually a cleanout that I can use to connect the sewer hose.

I was told that the family used this as a family vacation home and I believe that they are building another home.  The garage has all kinds of new appliances that are still sealed in the boxes.  I assume that they are for the new house as the ones in this house are also new.  I was told that their builder stored them temporally and they will be gone next week.

The home is fully furnished.

Kevin Means said:
Looks great Bill! Really a nice looking place. We finally started on our garage extension. We built the house 18 years ago with an RV garage that was big enough for our (then) 28 foot Class A. Fortunately, it was also big enough for our 2nd 32 foot Class A. But I never thought we'd own a 43 footer that was 13 feet tall, so for the last three years, our Tour has sat outside.

Unfortunately, California's building code requirements for earthquake protection have increased astronomically in the last 18 years, and of course, so has the price. $55,000 for a 10 foot garage extension! The structural requirements for such a large garage door opening are shocking and required other parts of the garage to be reinforced too.  :( 11 yards of steel reinforced concrete (being poured today), footings that would support a multi-story building, custom welding - it goes on and on. The two end footings are 5 feet deep X 4 feet X 4 feet. Oh well...

It's supposed to be done in two months - as long as our record setting rains will ease up. By the way, that's Jo Jo in one of the footing-canyons.

Kev

Kevin,

The garage looks great and I am sure you will enjoy it.  JoJo is worth much more than 100 garages for your happiness.

HueyPilotVN said:
I think that there is a slight slope to the floor.  It is Epoxy and extends about 6 inches up the walls sealing the floor.  There is a floor drain, actually a cleanout that I can use to connect the sewer hose.

This is good. It will give the water a place to go when the snow melts.  ;D :D ;) :)

It fits....barely by about an inch after I dump the air suspension.

When I first looked at it in the driveway I was worried.

I can walk around it with the slides open.

I also have about 5 feet on both ends.

Plan B was to remove the automatic Sat Dome.  Did not have to do that.

Attachments

• IMG_2419r.jpg
    IMG_2419r.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2422r.jpg
    IMG_2422r.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_2425r.jpg
    IMG_2425r.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2427r.jpg
    IMG_2427r.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2430r.jpg
    IMG_2430r.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2416r.jpg
    IMG_2416r.jpg
    348.5 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_2418r.jpg
    IMG_2418r.jpg
    302.9 KB · Views: 63
Looks GREAT.

But did I see duct tape in front of the front tire?  On a pristine coach?

And you had to dump the AIR and THEN backup the coach into it's spot?  Better have it lined up 100%
as any turning might require more than duct tape to fix.  ;D

All I can say is "I wish" I had a cover for my MH, as it truly is OUTSIDE with nothing to keep the snow off of it.

Let me know if you ever want to trade places..... :-\

Betty,

I am an RV guy.  I was showing the MOST important stuff.  The decorator in chief is planning on using a Cowboy/Western theme on the decorating of the inside of the house.

The home is furnished but Renae is replacing some of the pieces and new artwork.  The bones are all good it just needs character. Film at eleven.

Redandsilver,

Pristine? First, I sometimes get dings and minor dents in the coach.  It does not really bother me as long as it does not impact it's functionality.

The Duct tape is there because that under storage door came open driving down the highway.  My quick fix was a strip of duct tape, (Bubba's Universal Fix it).

On dumping the air.

I found out that I have to put the gear in neutral and set the air brake to dump the air.  Then put it back in gear and hold the air dump switch down while moving.  I can turn the front wheels without rubbing with the air down.

Looks like a nice RV garage, home (what I can see from the front) looks nice as well.  Is your RV garage door 13' tall?  Just curious as you mentioned your ceiling is 14'.  I am going taller door and ceiling but I'm trying to gage how mine will look in my new garage after seeing the pictures of yours inside.

Thanks and congrats.

Mike.

HueyPilotVN said:
I was surprised to find that I have two 50 amp RV electric outlets, one is inside the RV Garage and one is outside on the wall in the gated parking area.  They are on separate breakers and the RV garage has its own sub panel.  Both areas also have water and sewer connections.

Beautiful setup Bill.  Since you have two complete RV setups, I suppose you will be inviting all other old on the road vets to stop by for a visit and vittles.  LOL  Enjoy those nice digs.

Bill

Yes, do be careful of your measurements. A man down the street recently built a new garage especially for his Monaco Knight, but it doesn't quite fit, so he's parking it outside next to the garage. A sloping driveway at the entrance and mirrors on the coach had an effect on that.

Larry N. said:
Yes, do be careful of your measurements. A man down the street recently built a new garage especially for his Monaco Knight, but it doesn't quite fit, so he's parking it outside next to the garage. A sloping driveway at the entrance and mirrors on the coach had an effect on that.

Agreed Larry.  I don't think I will have that issue. Actually I am planning the "just in case I buy a 45-footer" strategy.  My new shop/RV garage is 50x60 with 16' ceilings and 14' tall by 16' wide door on the RV storage side.  I was just curious to help me gage how much extra room I will have. ;)

Looks like a great setup Bill has though.

Mike.

no vehicle without an Over Height Permit can be over 13"6 in the eastern states,  and 14' in the western states...

13' 6" is considered the safe max height nationally without worries.

zmotorsports said:
Looks like a nice RV garage, home (what I can see from the front) looks nice as well.  Is your RV garage door 13' tall?  Just curious as you mentioned your ceiling is 14'.  I am going taller door and ceiling but I'm trying to gage how mine will look in my new garage after seeing the pictures of yours inside.

Thanks and congrats.

Mike.

The real estate listing for my house say that the RV Garage door is 14 feet tall.  So I measured it by connecting a tape measure to the bottom edge of the door and opening it.

The actual opening is 12 feet 11 inches.  This is what led me to do a test fitting.  I measured my DP outside and came up with 13 feet 2 inches tall.  The high point is the Automatic Sat Dome.  By dumping the air suspension I do clear by an inch or two.

My door was certainly not a 14 foot door.

I also had to cut off part of the bracket that connects the door opener to the door.  It extended down about 4 inches.  I took my cut off wheel to the test fittting.

The Stacker has to live outside.  It was originally 13 feet 6 inches tall.  After changing the tire size and adding solar panels it is now a few inches taller.

Edit:

I am glad that I also have a roll up door on the back of the garage.  It is not for driving thru but it does create a very nice breeze thru the garage and it gives me a view of the lake.

HueyPilotVN said:
The real estate listing for my house say that the RV Garage door is 14 feet tall.  So I measured it by connecting a tape measure to the bottom edge of the door and opening it.

The actual opening is 12 feet 11 inches.  This is what led me to do a test fitting.  I measured my DP outside and came up with 13 feet 2 inches tall.  The high point is the Automatic Sat Dome.  By dumping the air suspension I do clear by an inch or two.

My door was certainly not a 14 foot door.

I also had to cut off part of the bracket that connects the door opener to the door.  It extended down about 4 inches.  I took my cut off wheel to the test fittting.

The Stacker has to live outside.  It was originally 13 feet 6 inches tall.  After changing the tire size and adding solar panels it is now a few inches taller.

Edit:

I am glad that I also have a roll up door on the back of the garage.  It is not for driving thru but it does create a very nice breeze thru the garage and it gives me a view of the lake.

Good to hear Bill.  I was just curious because you mentioned you had 14' ceilings and I figured 13' door would probably be the max and they are a little harder to come by than the standard size due to costs.

I waffled on my new shop trying to decide to go with 14' ceilings and then just special order a 13' door as my coach is just barely under the 13' height and figured I could do the same as you and merely dump my air.  Luckily when I was talking with the building inspector for our new subdivision he said he wouldn't hold me to the 25' overall height of the roof peak just as long as it isn't taller then the house.  BINGO!!!  So I went 16' ceilings and 14' tall door so no matter what coach I may or may not ever end up with in the future it will fit.  My contractor said the cost will be very negligible so it was a no brainer for me.

Thanks again for the info and it is a great looking setup you have.

Mike.

Mike

Here are some pics of my RV garage.

The door is 12'X14' and the interior garage dimensions are 16'H X 55'D X 20'W

I'm following your garage build on your Garage forum and also noticed the different building codes...Here if you go over 16'W on the interior garage you have to use steel for the garage door opening.

Attachments

• P1010089.JPG
    P1010089.JPG
    151.9 KB · Views: 55
  • P1010091.JPG
    P1010091.JPG
    145.1 KB · Views: 50
  • P1010092.JPG
    P1010092.JPG
    173.8 KB · Views: 54
  • House Construction0074.JPG
    House Construction0074.JPG
    217.7 KB · Views: 61
  • landscape098.JPG
    landscape098.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 51
Terry A. Brewer said:
Mike

Here are some pics of my RV garage.

The door is 12'X14' and the interior garage dimensions are 16'H X 55'D X 20'W

I'm following your garage build on your Garage forum and also noticed the different building codes...Here if you go over 16'W on the interior garage you have to use steel for the garage door opening.

Thanks Terry. 

What no pictures of the coach with the new paint job??????

It is interesting with all of the varieties of techniques they use depending on area and what the codes are. 

Your RV garage looks awesome.

Mike.

Love the pics of all the RV garages. Our dream is to buy the 1 acre lot next to us and put up a barn to store our camper and truck for the winter. Of course by the time it happens we may be retired and snowbirding and won't need it. :)

Back
Top Bottom