Eco diesel MPG

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trcgdb

Just had our maiden trip with 2015 eco diesel pulling a 25 TT...total weight was 11,500 lbs. Trip went from western NY thru Pa, WV, Va, NC into SC.... 635 miles at just over 13 mpg. Cruised in tow mode at 65 mph....
Should do better from here on south.

trcgdb said:
Just had our maiden trip with 2015 eco diesel pulling a 25 TT...total weight was 11,500 lbs. Trip went from western NY thru Pa, WV, Va, NC into SC.... 635 miles at just over 13 mpg. Cruised in tow mode at 65 mph....
Should do better from here on south

forgot to mention it has a 3.55 rear end
oil temp went as high as 257*-hovered around 225*

Moderator edit: Fixed broken end-quote tag

Thank you for the report. Just be aware that if you have ST type tires on your trailer, they may be rated for 65 mph maximum. Keep an eye on them. Do you monitor the trans temp also? With what you are pulling that shouldn't be an issue though.

my tt tires are rated at 75... but thanks. I did watch tranie temps but they were in the 190-195 range for the most part. Didn't pay close enough attention to that. Will try as I continue.

2016 25ft Salem Hemisphere Lite....dry about 4400; max weight 7000....we were at 11500 with TV.
Don't know what GDE tune is....
Husky Centerline weight distribution system

What is the average MPG empty?
13 MPG is far from ECO...lol

Sounds pretty good for 1/2 with a 25' trailer though.

My 2013 Ram 5.7 Hemi got around 20 in town and about 24 highway. With a lot less maintenance costs. Until I start doing a lot of heavy towing in mountains out west, I'll stick to my gasser. When I do switch to an oil burner, it will either be a diesel pusher or an HDT if I keep pulling some sort of trailer.

Green diesel engineering

A lot of eco owners have high praise for them. I'm sitting on the fence waiting for EPA vs FCA, diesel issue to resolve before putting more $ into mine.

trcgdb said:
Should do better from here on south.

It would be great if you could add your info to your signature, do this via Your Profile.  That way everyone knows what your set up is and its useful if you ever have any problems.  :D

Update heading further south...
SC,GA, into northern FLA.... 14.5 MPG; oil temps no higher than 235; trannie stayed 195*

WoW.
That is quite the drop in MPG.

My old 460 got 10-12 period.  empty, towing, up hill, down hill, head wind, tail wind...lol  At least you knew where you stood.
My old 7.3 I think dropped 5-10 MPG when towing.
My current rig drops about 5 MPG when towing.

trcgdb said:
Update heading further south...
SC,GA, into northern FLA.... 14.5 MPG; oil temps no higher than 235; trannie stayed 195*
Into southern Florida all the temps went up marginally...Tranny went as high as 212; Oil stayed at the 235-250 range. MPG was a little better as well into the 15.5-16.0 range.

again this is with a 3.55 rear end and tow mode and mostly on cruise @65

Not to change the subject, but I've got an nearly an identical setup.  2015 EcoD CC Big Horn towing a 23' Heartland Trail Runner with a max weight of 7000.  Do you use airbags on your truck or just a WDH?  Or both?  Thanks!

Great, thanks.  I've got a WDH and wasn't sure if I should add some airbags too.  I get a little squat in the rear still.  Maybe I don't have the WDH set quite right. 

Back
Top Bottom