Cat Barrier

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

systemcat

I read somewhere about the use of a baby gate. Now I have used one in the past to prevent my fuzzy guy from going down stairs in an old apartment,  but I don't think that will work with my RV. I want to keep him out of the driver compartment and this is an old C-Class. I personally don't see a baby gate working for dividing off that area from the living area. What do I do? I keep thinking of putting up some form of netting but haven't seen anything to the effect of that idea on the market.  ... I'm not going to let him in the driving area. I can't picture him there without getting me in trouble.

Maybe something from these folks could help you.

https://www.usnetting.com/

Sorry, too expensive for me.  :-[ I called them and described what it was I wanted.

I don't believe anything you put up will keep a cat out. They have claws and can climb up and over anything. I would look at getting something like a dog harness and hook your furry friend up to a 6 foot leash.  It would make it so much easier for everyone overall. 

https://www.amazon.com/Puppia-Soft-Dog-Harness-Small/dp/B0013N183G

I used to be able to harness him when he was really young. Now he does wild kitty freakouts when he's put in a harness. I know cats like to climb everywhere but I don't picture this with him much. See before him I had a different cat and I let her have full roaming rights of my old sedan. When she was teeny-tiny she caused trouble, when she was bigger I found it amazing I never got pulled over for her antics. But once she nearly got killed if it wasn't for fast observation on my part. The current cat is much more shy and I can't picture him doing the wild things she did. None the less I don't want to risk him doing the stunts she did.

Try shopping at a fabric or sporting goods store. Both generally have some kind of netting.

First thought and now forum thoughts.  :( Guess that will be what happens.

Amazon sells expanding cat carriers from $29 and up. Also there are fold up carriers you can use while driving, then let the cat out and fold it up for storage.

It's possible you could put the cat in the carrier where she can see and hear you, but can't help you drive.  ;D

I had to teach my doggy that in no uncertain terms could he touch the driver or enter the driver area. He didn't like this, but he learned and he obeys.

I used to move 3 cats back and forth in an old bouncy jeep between two homes. They rode in carriers until they got the hang of it.

Bribery works too.

My cats would do ANYTHING for tuna. Maybe try feeding the cat tuna inside carrier without the door closed. Get feline used to the treat in there. Then the day you want to close the door, the cat will already be trained to go in there for the treat.

Cat nip relaxes some cats and others it winds them up. Mine really enjoyed riding around with organic cat nip in their carriers. They rolled around in it while I drove. I could hear them purring. One would drool. He was a mess.

This little guy on long trips in a carrier .. well I feel sorry for him. He's gone through three carriers in his life so far. One he loved as a kitten but out grew of it. The second he might sit in freely but zipped up, he'd go nuts. Third and current, he howls & pees in. All fabric. I'm a shutterbug and have taken him on planes with me before. I can present video of him crying while I film out the window. Nothing can console him when he hates traveling. Ever hear a cat cry for hours on end in the most comfy carrier you can find?

The only place our cats aren't allowed while driving is right around the driver. They can sit in the console between passenger and driver, but not on the driver's lap or under the driver's feet. They figured it out right away, with a few good swats and/or moving them (depending on the seriousness of the offense). Now one settles immediately while the other screams intermittently for 30-60 minutes. She then calms down so it isn't as bad as it might seem. Some cats are just better travelers than others.

I live full time with three cats and one of the first things I had to do was to build a cat dam so they could not get up under the dash. It folds in the middle to allow me to get my feet on the pedals.

Attachments

• dam.jpg
    dam.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 54
Kind of bulky but if you go to Lowes, Home Depot, Mennards. Et-Al they have sections of fence, 4x8 feet, plastic lattace.. You will need to cut one to size and figure out mounting

Mounting,, A good mount can be made from a PINNABLE Butt hinge.. Remove the pin.. Slightly machine down the "Joint" pieces so they are not as long/tall as they were (*make it easier to slip the two sections together) and use a "Hair pin" type pin to pin'em, you need 4 corners.

I used to have a "Cat Cage" depending on if it was inside or outside it had 3 sides (The RV wall was the 4th) and a lid, or 4 sides and a lid.  Wife did not like messing with it though so it got "lost" sort of.  Cat behaves so it's not an issue.

John From Detroit said:
Kind of bulky but if you go to Lowes, Home Depot, Mennards. Et-Al they have sections of fence, 4x8 feet, plastic lattace.. You will need to cut one to size and figure out mounting

Mounting,, A good mount can be made from a PINNABLE Butt hinge.. Remove the pin.. Slightly machine down the "Joint" pieces so they are not as long/tall as they were (*make it easier to slip the two sections together) and use a "Hair pin" type pin to pin'em, you need 4 corners.

I used to have a "Cat Cage" depending on if it was inside or outside it had 3 sides (The RV wall was the 4th) and a lid, or 4 sides and a lid.  Wife did not like messing with it though so it got "lost" sort of.  Cat behaves so it's not an issue.

Could you show photos to this idea? Never heard of Et-Al but all the other hardware stores are in my area. I've been visiting them a lot because I'm restoring interior of my RV. This sounds some what akin to the baby gate thought but I'm really unsure I'm catching the visual right. .... Wait outdoor garden fencing material?

kdbgoat said:
Et-Al simple defination: "and others"

I guess it depends on the cat but we let ours roam free and guess where did they go - under the driver and passenger seats for the first hour or two. Then one climbs in moms lap and the other rides on the flat dashboard.  It will be something new this season because our dog also rode in the wife's lap sometimes and the cat insisted on also sharing the lap.  But our 17 year old dog left us last month and the cats  (and us) are still grieving so it may take a bit for them to adjust this season.

Bill

systemcat said:
I read somewhere about the use of a baby gate. Now I have used one in the past to prevent my fuzzy guy from going down stairs in an old apartment,  but I don't think that will work with my RV. I want to keep him out of the driver compartment and this is an old C-Class. I personally don't see a baby gate working for dividing off that area from the living area. What do I do? I keep thinking of putting up some form of netting but haven't seen anything to the effect of that idea on the market.  ... I'm not going to let him in the driving area. I can't picture him there without getting me in trouble.

I'll post some pics in next few days...on a cat barrier I made out of 3 baby gates, hinged together for simple disassemble and storage under bed and cats can't open or get thru....works like a charm.

clipped sections together with some metal tie plates and thumbscrews, used slip hinge to set in place and 3 latch bolts to keep it shut

Attachments

• 55d47_8c93.jpg
    55d47_8c93.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 37
SeilerBird said:
I live full time with three cats and one of the first things I had to do was to build a cat dam so they could not get up under the dash. It folds in the middle to allow me to get my feet on the pedals.
...and it was delivered from Amazon 8)

Cat carriers are safest.  god forbid you get into an accident.  alternatively how about an enclosed cat playpen.  it gives them more room but keeps them confined to a few feet?

Back
Top Bottom