Journey 34Y - new owner power question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sbradk

Just got our "new" 2009 Journey 34Y and we're super-excited! :)

So, it takes 50 amp power, but a lot of state parks have 30 amp power service. I got an adapter (easy enough to figure out) but I'm curious... what WON'T work if we connect the coach to 30 amp power? Can we still run the AC?

The power control system shows that the coach will accept and run on 30 amp power but I'd love to know in advance what we should expect as not-working or not-working-well if we're connected to the lower power source.

Thanks in advance!

I run into this situation about 15% of the time. Everything will still work fine.

If you have two air conditioners one may not run based on various factors such as load shedding power systems.

You can't run all of your electrical items at the same time as you are limited to 30 amps.

Thanks

Arch Hoagland said:
If you have two air conditioners one may not run based on various factors such as load shedding power systems.

The Journey 34Y has a single AC but it is a "basement" air. Sounds like it is a mini-residential unit. I believe it has two compressors though, so it may only run one. Which, I'm guessing, means it would still work but won't be as efficient. (i.e. don't try it on 90 degree days).

Your basement ac/ heat pump unit will run as normal, using apx 26-27 amps when both compressors are operating. This means you cannot run any other significant loads while it is running ...like microwave, water heater on electric,  coffee makes, hair dryer, etc. Your ems will try to help if you exceed 30a by cutting 120v power to the hi speed section of the blower/refer/water heater/#2 compressor. The order is shown on the panel. But it is better for you to manage that if possible.  When on 30a power,  switch your refer & wh to LP. If we need to use the microwave or other large draw and I don't want to shut the ac totally off,  I will flip the breaker for #2 compressor so the unit will keep running at reduced effectiveness.

afchap said:
Your basement ac/ heat pump unit will run as normal, using apx 26-27 amps when both compressors are operating. This means you cannot run any other significant loads while it is running ...like microwave, water heater on electric,  coffee makes, hair dryer, etc. Your ems will try to help if you exceed 30a by cutting 120v power to the hi speed section of the blower/refer/water heater/#2 compressor. The order is shown on the panel. But it is better for you to manage that if possible.  When on 30a power,  switch your refer & wh to LP. If we need to use the microwave or other large draw and I don't want to shut the ac totally off,  I will flip the breaker for #2 compressor so the unit will keep running at reduced effectiveness.

Great, thanks. I just wanted a heads-up before I land in a 30-amp spot to minimize surprises. :) Sounds like it will be okay for the most part with these tips.

Everything will work individually, but you are much more limited in how many things you can use at one time. With 30A power, you have a max of 3600 watts available to spread around, whereas 50A power yields 12,000 watts total.

Gary RVer Emeritus said:
Everything will work individually, but you are much more limited in how many things you can use at one time. With 30A power, you have a max of 3600 watts available to spread around, whereas 50A power yields 12,000 watts total.

Wow! That's a HUGE difference. I had no idea it made that much of a difference. Good to know for sure.

Why the big difference Gary between 30 and 50 amp? It would seem like 50 amp would just double the 30 amp wattage due to the presence of a second leg.

30A RV service is unique to RVs and is a 110V 30A single circuit - whereas the 50A RV service is actually a standard 240V 50A service which gives your RV two 50A circuits at 110V.  Ultimately you have 100A of service at 110V.

SargeW said:
Why the big difference Gary between 30 and 50 amp? It would seem like 50 amp would just double the 30 amp wattage due to the presence of a second leg.

Not Gary but!.... There are 2 50 amp legs in a 50 amp setup. 120v x 50 amp = 6000 watts  per leg. 12000 watts total... Yea, 50 amps is real misnomer eh??

There is only 1 leg at 30 amps available in a 30 amp set up. 30 x 120V= 3600 watts.

What Stu said!

You have the same sort of thing in residential wiring. The wall outlets are 15A and that's @ 120v, but your house service entrance is probably 200A (or more) and 240v. Homeowners seldom need to know about their service entrance size & amps cause it is hardwired once for forever, but RVers get exposed to the difference in the outlets they use.

Oh gotcha! So if an RV'er plugs into a 50 amp pedestal with their 30 amp RV using a 50 amp adapter, they are really getting 6000 volts of available power into their RV? 

ya but that ends at the RV panel where the main breaker is only 30A, limiting you back to the 3600 watts

The adapter you use to plug into the 50 amp only carries one leg of the power, a neutral and a ground. You are not getting the second leg. A common mistake people make with 30 amp is thinking it is 220 system. They hook up 30 amp 220 and blow up half the stuff in the camper. It is only a 110 system, with one leg of power,  a neutral and a ground.  50 amp is set up as a 220 volt system as stated and has two legs of power, a neutral and a ground.

SargeW,
That would be 6000 watts, not 6000 volts. Watts=volts x amps.

Here's another option for hooking up to get 50A service. If the panel has (2) 110V outlets. Haven't tried one but it may be worth while having one in the box.
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunum=71205&rewrote&affiliateid=5193&gclid=CM3ClLXCm9MCFQuifgodnXsGog

That Y adapter requires two 30 amp outlets. I've never seen a pedestal with two 30 amp outlets unless they are back to back for two different sites. I hate being on 30 amp service, usually the 30-50 amp cables will get hot on the 30 amp plug. I've had some almost melt.

You may find twin 30A outlets on what are called "buddy sites", designed for two RVs on one site. I've encountered a few elsewhere too, e.g. some Georgia State Parks.

The adapter above can also be used with a 30A + a 15A outlet. The shortcoming is that such power pedestals invariably have only a single 30A supply wire with the 30A & 15A outlets daisy chained together.  If the supply line has a 30A breaker upstream, that's all you are gonna get anyway. If not, the supply wire is overloaded but it probably survives as long as the average total load stays at about 40A or less. You may see a voltage drop, though.

Gary RVer Emeritus said:
...The adapter above can also be used with a 30A + a 15A outlet. ..
That particular adapter cord has two 30 amp plugs, you would have to use a 20>30 amp adapter but that's pointless since the 120v outlet probably comes off the 30 amp leg.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chaderic
Back
Top Bottom