I-10 often closed at AZ-NM border

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

richardhufford

I just thought I'd mention that every time the wind blows, lately, I-10 is closed and traffic is routed from Lordsburg, NM, through Duncan and Safford, AZ and back to near Willcox, AZ.  It's two-way traffic most of the way, and with all the traffic not much passing gets done.  My understanding is that the reason is usually blowing dust.  Normally this happens after noon (although today it looks like it happened in the morning), and it usually stops once the sun goes down.

I live in Safford, so I haven't actually observed the problem on I-10.  Just the traffic.

-Richard Hufford

Edit: added photo of traffic just west of Duncan

Attachments

• traffic.jpg
    traffic.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 94
We were headed to Tucson and got stuck in Lordsburg. We decided to just stay at the KOA. Good move if the multi-mile long of traffic on the detour (highway 70) was any sign! What a mess. Multiple local police, county police, and highway patrol trying to get people back on I-10, but fighting a losing battle. I bet this little KOA hasn't been this full in a long time (since the last closure of I-10).

It rained here last night, so there probably isn't a problem today (3/1/2017).  I imagine we'll dry out again in a few days, though.  It's an ongoing problem.

We had a heck-of - big wind come through yesterday, I live north of Amarillo,Texas. We had sustained wind at 50 with 65 gusts all day ..

I-10 is closed today (3/31/2017) and being rerouted through Safford.  I'll try to pay attention, but I'm not home in the afternoon for awhile.  Here's ADOT's information: http://azdot.gov/media/News/news-release/2017/03/31/blowing-dust-closes-i-10-in-southeastern-arizona

We stayed in NM one night in late February due to the road being closed. The detour was unbelievable -75 to 100 miles farther and slow going. It is the large playa (dry lakebed) just west of the border that causes the road closure, and it is just a fact of life.

Last year, the road was closed a lot because a landowner from out of the area had plowed a field and intended to plant an orchard.  I think the state ended up spraying chemicals on the land to hold down the dust and they were trying to bill the landowner.  (This is from my feeble memory of the news stories, so I may not be correct.)  Should I update this thread every time I notice the road closed or should I leave it alone?  I know that for most people it clutters up the forum, but if you're driving that way it could help you make arrangements to wait someplace or at least prepare yourself.

If you are looking for a more interesting alternative; highway 9 runs south of I-10.  It's a  two lane road, but has light traffic and goes thru some interesting small towns.  I can recommend Rockhound State Park and Poncho Villa State Park (walk across the border to visit The Pink Store if you have your passport) and Rusty's RV Park in New Mexico.  When you cross into Arizona you change to highway 80 and then 92 to see Bisbee, Tombstone, Sierra Vista, Sonoita, and then Nogales where you connect with Interstate 19 north to Tuscon.  Lots of RV parks along the way, World Class bird watching, and much more interesting than Interstate 10. Patagonia Lake State Park is one of our favorites along the way.

Back
Top Bottom