Surf fishing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rbell

I was watching some people surf fish in Fla. this year and being from Michigan I've never done any. The wildlife area north of Cape Kennedy has miles of perfect beach so I'm going to try my hand at it next year.
I'd like to know what type rods, reels, bait etc. people use for it so I can collect the equipment this summer.

I did a lot of surf fishing in the 70s when I lived in Virginia.  We used 12 foot long rods and Penn Squider reels.  Also we used large sal****er spinning reels. There is much better equipment out there today,  The basic outfit would be a long rod (fairly stiff, not a crappie rod) a large spinning reel and 20 pound test line. We fished with lures (heavy, so they would cast beyond the waves). when the blues or stripers were in, and used bait on the bottom for sharks. Get something to stick in the sand for a rod holder and maybe a chair and a beer and you are ready to go.

caltex said:
I did a lot of surf fishing in the 70s when I lived in Virginia.  We used 12 foot long rods and Penn Squider reels.  Also we used large sal****er spinning reels. There is much better equipment out there today,  The basic outfit would be a long rod (fairly stiff, not a crappie rod) a large spinning reel and 20 pound test line. We fished with lures (heavy, so they would cast beyond the waves). when the blues or stripers were in, and used bait on the bottom for sharks. Get something to stick in the sand for a rod holder and maybe a chair and a beer and you are ready to go.

Don't forget the little dingy bell for the rod tip to wake you if a fish is so inconsiderate as to bite.  ;D

Back when I fished the surf, I used a 13-foot rod for the sand, and a 7 footer for the rocks.  With the big rod I liked the Penn Squidder in preference to the spinning reel.  The spinner required the use of a glove to prevent line cuts  as you held the line when you whipped the rod forward in long casts with a 4-6 oz weight on it.  With the Squidder thumbing the reel took care of the release problem.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom