1998 jimmy or 2013 honda awd crv 4 down towing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John Connell

can someone tell me what would be a better car to do 4 down towing a 1998 2 wheel drive jimmy or a 2013 Honda CRV AWD not really sure which one would be a better choice any help?

Remco Industries has a towing website that allows you to plug in your vehicle info, and it will list what (if any) special equipment you'll need for your "toad" (what we call a "towed vehicle): http://www.remcoindustries.com/Towing/Store.php

There are other references with that information (such as your specific vehicles' owners manuals) but Remco is a commonly used reference among RV folks.

I towed a 1991 GMC Jimmy SLE V6, 2 door 4X4 SUV in 1996 & 7, it towed great.  This one was towable since it had a certain number transfer case. 
I have been towing our 2013 AWD CR-V since new and it tows great.  I made and added a switch to turn off the switch that needs to be pulled when towing.  I had a Roadmaster base plate installed and am using my existing Roadmaster Falcon II tow bar.    Dick  nvrver

I'm curious what did you go with?  I just bought a 2013 CRV with the intention of flat towing it behind a 2006 Winnie 29B. 
I'm looking to buy the towing equipment now which is why I happened upon this post.

-scott

I have a 2016 all wheel drive Honda Crv and I told them I would like to tow it with all four wheels down and they do not recommend it and yes Gary I called GMC and they said no to the 1998 2 wheel drive Jimmy was just wondering if anyone with a 2016 CRV AWD has ever towed with 4 wheels down and if not looks like I will have to purchase a trailer and trailer Jimmy

The 2013 CRV is towable 4 down (first post).  Changes in more recent models make the 2016 CRV not towable.  I post this lest someone wonder what changed between post 1 and this post.

John Connell said:
I have a 2016 all wheel drive Honda Crv and I told them I would like to tow it with all four wheels down and they do not recommend it and yes Gary I called GMC and they said no to the 1998 2 wheel drive Jimmy was just wondering if anyone with a 2016 CRV AWD has ever towed with 4 wheels down and if not looks like I will have to purchase a trailer and trailer Jimmy
In the first post you said you have a 2013 Honda CRV AWD. In the last post you said you have a 2016?? Yes to the 2013 and a big no to the 2016. I am towing a 2014 and it is the last year you can tow 4 down.
Bill

Thank you all for your advice, looks like I will be trailering it, both manufacturers said it is getting harder to tow all wheels down due to the electronic transmissions and gear boxes, thanks again.

The only Jimmy that is towable is the one with the 4WD manual transfer case that can be placed in  neutral. The rest require a tranny lube pump or a drive shaft disconnect, either of which is pricey. Or carry them on a trailer.

The manufacturers are just putting spin on their lack of a 4-down towable product. Electronics aren't really the issue - transmissions & related systems can be designed to be 4-down towable if they want. It takes some engineering effort, though, and has a bit of cost, so most vehicle manufacturers aren't willing to do that. GM had a towable transmission but cost-reduced the towability out of it when they extended the design to other models. Ford, on the other hand, kept 4-down towability as a design objective and many of their models are towable.  Honda had one tranny that was towable, but dropped it in favor a new design.

John Connell said:
Thank you all for your advice, looks like I will be trailering it, both manufacturers said it is getting harder to tow all wheels down due to the electronic transmissions and gear boxes, thanks again.

The CR-V lost its ability to be towed when Honda changed from a traditional automatic transmission to a CVT (continuously variable) one.  AFAIK it doesn't have to do with "electronics" just with a different transmission design.

If you didn't already own the CR-V I would have suggested you look at the Chevy Equinox which, I believe, is still towable in both AWD and FWD configurations.

And don't forget that quite a few vehicles can still be obtained with manual transmissions that permits them to be towed.  Yes, the quantities of stick shift vehicles is small, but you only need one!

Back
Top Bottom