Avalon on Tow Dolly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jth

I used a tow dolly many years ago w/o problems. I have only been RVing for a year and just purchased a tow dolly w brakes. I can't seem to get good information about pulling our Toyota Avalon. The manual is no help on using a tow dolly. Four down is an absolute no-no in the manual; the reason for the purchase of the tow dolly. I was told by an RV dealer that I need to place the car in neutral after loading and securing the car on the dolly. Is that information correct? Are there any other special things that should done? Like securing the steering wheel etc.? I'm on the road in about a week and plan to do a test run around the area when I get some good info about how this car should be set up. A Toyota dealership was not much help.

Isn't the Avalon a FWD (front wheel drive) vehicle? If, so you should have the tranny in Park when dolly-towing.  That helps keep the front wheels on the dolly where they belong!  If rear wheel drive, then yes it needs to be in neutral.

If the dolly has a swivel wheel platform, the steering on the Avalon should be locked (if locking steering column) or immobilized (if not a locking column). If not a swiveling platform, then the Avalon's front wheels must be unlocked so they can turn as the coach rounds a corner.

Your best bet is to follow the instructions in the tow dolly manual. You didn't mention the dolly brand, though.

Gary thanks for your response and all your responses to RVers. I read much of what is asked and responded to in the forum. Great information and great reading.

The Avalon is front wheel drive. The dolly is a Stehl Tow. Dolly is basically new, less than one year old. I have read their manual and it says to place the car in park or in gear. The Toyota manual is silent on the issue of park or in gear. Park makes more sense to me with front wheel drive and front wheels on a dolly. They (Toyota Manual) do indicate - no dinghy towing; front wheels up, release parking brake. I know not to set the parking brake. If towed w rear wheels up then tow dolly under front wheels. Makes sense if front wheel drive and different type tow dolly than I have. I got on the forum due to the instructions from an RV dealer about placing the car in neutral. Never heard that for an automatic transmission; thus the reason for my question to forum readers and RVers.

Gary, side note. Headed to Crystal River next week then on to Fort Myers area.

Back
Top Bottom