Better tow bar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fred1845

Hi .Had a tow bar installed at U-Haul for a 2007 Saturn.Question now even if it's to late,which is better or is there no difference.Blue Ox or RoadMaster?They gave me/bought a Roadmaster tow bar .Which is better,easier to attach to RV ?Curious if I got a good one .Thanks

Any tow bar that remains attached to the motorhome and then extends it's arms to attach to the tow vehicle will work.  It's helpful for the bar to be an "all terrain" type with a swivel connection at the motorhome, this makes it easier to line up the bar with the tow car if the hitch-up surface isn't exactly level between them.  Most towbars have this feature.

The primary difference between Roadmaster and Blue Ox towbars is the shape of the attachment points between the car and the tow bar.  Six of one, a half dozen of the other.

What you want to avoid is a tow bar with fixed length arms that stays attached to the front of the towed vehicle.  These were popular at one time but have now largely fallen out of favor because they require a second person to hold the tow bar off the ground while the car is driven to precisely position the coupler over the hitch ball on the motorhome.

As Lou says, the type of tow bar is more important than the brand. The most convenient type is also the most expensive (what a surprise!), i.e. the Blue Ox Aventa LX or the Roadmaster All Terrain models. Demco makes a good one too.

I am with Lou. now one other brand I will mention

Ready Brute with Ready Brake

If you are towing a car or truck or van you REALLY need an aux braking system.
The Ready Brute with Ready brake (Blue-Ox offeres a competing product by the way) inludes a Surge brake System.

These have both advantages and disadvantages...
We may, from time to time, change the way we load our car or motor home so the brake "Ratios" need to change,  Following initial set up Ready Brake is self adjusting

When the car pushes against the motor home (Stopping) the device pulls the brake pedal down (it is a pedal puller) adjusting for things like residual vacuum in the booster, and load in the car, all automatically..    The "new car" kit is not all that expensive when you trade towed's either.

The down-side
The unit uses a cable that is much like the parking brake cable on most cars.. now living as I did for half a century plus in the great salted north.. I am used to those cables rusting, binding and not releasing the parking brake once applied.. Same happens with the Ready Brake cable,, So you need to check for binding every time you hook up and I'd suggest keeping a spare cable handy just in cuss, and/or regular lubrication (Yes you can lube a cable, motor cycle shops have the device you need to do it)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom